First aid, the ultimate arbs kit?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again u r missing the point,,,,,, reducing ur speed will not stop all accidents, the question is Rupe if and when an accident does happen would u prefer to have a high spec first aid and does the cost justify it.

u can cover all the risks in ur risk/method statements but unfortunatley they still happen

Ok, as a direct answer, no I would prefer to have this particular first aid kit, partly because the cost doesn't justify it and partly because I believe first aid is more to do with the person administering it than the actual kit.

If I was the injuered party then there are some workers who I know that would be useless and others that would be brilliant, I don't the kit would have much to do with it.

Thats just my opinion. I do think extra bits of kit can't hurt, as has been mentioned before on this thread.

Your supposed to let it bleed out for 60 seconds so that blood pressure is reduced and the celox will then have a better chance of staying put.

Takes some bottle to let 60 seconds worth of blood pee down the drive :001_smile:

I dont know why, but I have never paniced orflapped when at an accident scene, even when I come down out the mewp and the bloke in with me was badly injured. Everything just seems to calm right down and I can think really clearly, it's as though things go into slow motion.

The guy in with me was conscious but couldn't breath, he was turning blue, I put it down to he was badly winded or had broke ribs, which he had. He then went into shock and started frigging about on the floor, even that didn't phase me :confused1:

I hope when I come a cropper I dont end up getting a flapper helping because quite honestly your better off without :001_smile:

One minute is a long time to think, use it

I know where your coming from dean, some people lose the plot, others just take it in thier stride. I think its the flappers that REALLY need the training and practice drills, cos when panick sets in good training usualy takes over as a means of blocking it out and dealing with it.

Dean, the flapping part can catch even the best of us, if things are to close to home, a mate of mine panicked when his dog got stuck under a jetty, and he was ex mil like you and seen just as bad as you no doubt if not worse!

Personaly I would have my hands in someones guts if i had to, but all things considered I would still rather have a first aid kit like Arbaid than scratch around one of these basic kits.

I think Rupes going abit OTT, worrying that having better kit and training will elevate us to some scary status in the eyes of the HSE. If anything upgrading ourselves will earn thier admiration, after all how many industries are self policing and motivated with regards to H&S?

HSE sets a standard, a minimum standard, why shouldnt we aspire iether as an industry or as individuals to elevate ourselves to an even better standard?

Arboriculture is different from the other jobs you mention. As a company owner whose been climbing and working in the industry for years surely you recognise it's a special job, that requires unique skills? so why shouldn't employees be trained in the use of a trauma kit - another unique skill that could make the difference between a workmate living or dying?

Its probably because I don't think we are special or unique. We are trained to do a job within the limits of risk that make it accpetable to do so. If we work outside of those limits then the HSE would bring out further enforcements to bring us back within the limits.

Instead of saying "look, we are special, we do a really dangerous job, we need a big yellow first aid kit cos we are so dangerous" I think we should be saying, "no, we are not secial we just do a job and conform to first aid regs like everyone else"

I suppose it depends on weather you think the job is dangerous or not?

Edited by Rupe

If anything upgrading ourselves will earn thier admiration, after all how many industries are self policing and motivated with regards to H&S?

HSE sets a standard, a minimum standard, why shouldnt we aspire iether as an industry or as individuals to elevate ourselves to an even better standard?

You do seem keen on earning admiration/recognition etc recently.

I think you'll find that thsi industry is extremley good at self policing, the HSE standards are set after massive amounts of advice and research from companies and individuals without whom the standards would be a lot higher. Chainsaw gloves in the tree, full body harnesses, no top handles, no climbing etc. could all be in place if it wasn't for our self policing wereby we have proved what is genuinly necessary and what isn't.

Its probably because I don't think we are special or unique. We are trained to do a job with the limits of risk that make it accpetable to do so. If we work outside of those limits then the HSE would bring out further enforcements to bring us back within the limits.

Instead of saying "look, we are special, we do a really dangerous job, we need a big yellow first aid kit cos we are so dangerous" I think we should be saying, "no, we are not secial we just do a job and conform to first aid regs like everyone else"

I suppose it depends on weather you think the job is dangerous or not?

Well from my own point of view, with aspirations to be a manager/consultant at some stage in my career I would want to be more capable and prepaired than I/we all are at present.

Partly because having a crew of young lads under my responsibility I would want to feel i did everything i could to ensure my boys went home each day and to ensure that I never have to explain to someones wife or mommy why I had failed to deliver thier boy/man home safe.:001_smile:

Young eager to prove themselves lads ( i was one a LONG time ago) make mistakes and dont have the sense of fear from experiance we have.

I think everyone should be doing whatever extra they feel they ought to. I just think the big yellow box is shouting too loudly "look at us, we are dangerous!" and its expensive.

Get some extra kit, shove it under the seat, and keep on like its not really a difficult job, get paid, be happy and ignore what everyone thinks of us loppers.

I think everyone should be doing whatever extra they feel they ought to. I just think the big yellow box is shouting too loudly "look at us, we are dangerous!" and its expensive.

Get some extra kit, shove it under the seat, and keep on like its not really a difficult job, get paid, be happy and ignore what everyone thinks of us loppers.

I cant Rupe, cos i do give a s...:sneaky2:

Am I trying too hard Rupe? yeah probably, mostly cos Im sick of being at the bottom of the food chain!:001_tt2:

I suppose it depends on wether you think the job is dangerous or not?

During a large dismantle, we make decisions based on experience and some book knowledge then we just have to go for it otherwise we wouldn't get anything done, this is why professional tree surgery is dangerous.

If you dont think the job is dangerous then you've become complacent, when complacency sets in, you've taken your eye off the ball, which makes a serious accident more likely.

The culture of risk assessment has created the illusion the job is safe, when clearly it isn't. Working at heights from a rope and harness using a high powered petrol chainsaw is not a safe job.

Training to be proficient in the use of a trauma kit in relation to arb specific injuries has to be a good thing.

During a large dismantle, we make decisions based on experience and some book knowledge then we just have to go for it otherwise we wouldn't get anything done, this is why professional tree surgery is dangerous.

If you dont think the job is dangerous then you've become complacent, when complacency sets in, you've taken your eye off the ball, which makes a serious accident more likely.

The culture of risk assessment has created the illusion the job is safe, when clearly it isn't. Working at heights from a rope and harness using a high powered petrol chainsaw is not a safe job.

Training to be proficient in the use of a trauma kit in relation to arb specific injuries has to be a good thing.

Thats what i thought, and thanks ! phew at least someone gets it!:thumbup1: