First aid, the ultimate arbs kit?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for the average Arb company they are a bit over the top! For a forestry gang working in the middle of a forest with poor access then it could save someones life but the staff would need the training it how to use it.

I think for the average Arb company they are a bit over the top! For a forestry gang working in the middle of a forest with poor access then it could save someones life but the staff would need the training it how to use it.

I think your not taking this issue seriously enough then.

Those 4-6 men first aid kits that cover your arse legaly are totaly inadequate for arbs, I think this new first aid kit is essential for us and the potential nature of our injuries.

I also think our first aid certs legal reqiurment is poor, the crew supervisor (on ground) IMO should have a high level of first aid/injury treatment knowledge avaliable to him.

We are at high risk, and we need to take this rescue first aid to a new level.

We are thinking of stocking them, I think they are good but I have trouble getting £15.00 of people for Celox let alone £290.00 for a full kit.

Not knocking the kit I've seen it and it looks good.

Jonesie, i get where your coming from, and having a sell buy date on first aid stuff isnt going to help you is it. having these sitting in the stores unsold is a nightmare. What are the rules on this issue for stockists?:001_huh:

Those 4-6 men first aid kits that cover your arse legaly are totaly inadequate for arbs, I think this new first aid kit is essential for us and the potential nature of our injuries.

I also think our first aid certs legal reqiurment is poor, the crew supervisor (on ground) IMO should have a high level of first aid/injury treatment knowledge avaliable to him.

For an Arb company working in a Town/City location an ambulance with highly medically trained staff is going to reach you in minutes. In a forest situation this is slightly different and the staff should be able to deal with injuries themselves.

I understand that we are at high risk and don't want to get into an argument but think that expecting every Arb company (from a small 2man team to large 100+ staff companies) is unrealistic due to the added cost to the company.

No we are not at high risk! We risk manage everything and by following safe working procedures we should be able to reduce risk to a minimum. Thats what all the training and risk assessments etc are for.

Those that are at high risk throuhg lack of training etc are unlikly to ever have a first aid kit anyway.

In an urban environment, a mobile phone and an ambulance will sort anything serious out. A standard first aid kit, and maybe some extra blood stopping stuff is all that is required to keep a casualty comfortable until the ambulance arrives.

Anything that suggests that our industry is so high risk so as to make the normal first aid at work regulations no longer apply, is very dodgy ground IMO. We don't want to put our industry on that kind of pedestal, if it were then the HSE would close us down anyway.

Jonesie, i get where your coming from, and having a sell buy date on first aid stuff isnt going to help you is it. having these sitting in the stores unsold is a nightmare. What are the rules on this issue for stockists?:001_huh:

We buy them in and sell them that's it. If stuff goes out of date it's down to us. I had to throw away some eyewash last year as the date had expired - was my fault though we normally rotate the stock pretty well but these had fallen down the back of the shelf.:001_smile: