Dual Mass Flywheels

TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having watched that vid I'd say that the fly wheel wasn't the cause of that movement, since there is no direct link from the flywheel to the gear linkage. That would be caused by the engine and gearbox moving in retation to the chassis... worn engine mount maybe?

Not saying yours isn't the flywheel, but the symptoms of a flywheel breaking up would be more likelt to be noise and vibration and of course damage to starter and ring gear.

Is there a drain hole in the bell housing? if so you could maybe get a finger inside and feel for debris..

:001_smile:

Having watched that vid I'd say that the fly wheel wasn't the cause of that movement, since there is no direct link from the flywheel to the gear linkage. That would be caused by the engine and gearbox moving in retation to the chassis... worn engine mount maybe?

Not saying yours isn't the flywheel, but the symptoms of a flywheel breaking up would be more likelt to be noise and vibration and of course damage to starter and ring gear.

Is there a drain hole in the bell housing? if so you could maybe get a finger inside and feel for debris..

:001_smile:

But the flywheel failing would increase vibration beyond the limits of the mounts, causing failed mount symptoms.

Initially I thought it was the mounts too because the shudder was not dissimilar to the shudder we live with in our ancient '95 405 estate diesel - btw the most reliable old jalopy ever!

Saab 9-5 3.0 TiDs are notorious for this problem even at low mileages; the engine is seriously quiet and smooth at tickover - blip the throttle and the lump twists a little as it should but jiggles at it settles to idle speed - just as if the DMF is catching up due to the two plates being slack...

50% of the pain is not knowing (hate it) and the other 50% the potential £bill :001_rolleyes:

But the flywheel failing would increase vibration beyond the limits of the mounts, causing failed mount symptoms.

I did think that but it would be a higher frequency vibration than the one in the vid, I'd have thought. Checking the drain hole on the bell housing for swarf and bits of metal would be a good start I reckon.

Here's some cheesy vids of the bleedin thing!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvoi3yKlNRY&feature=channel]YouTube - Saab 9-5 3.0 TiD engine[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcxkFpB6M7I&feature=channel]YouTube - Saab 9-5 3.0 TiD with Dual Mass Flywheel Failure[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H807U6Yawks&feature=channel]YouTube - Saab 9-5 3.0 TiD DMF failure check[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqM35M3FSJM&feature=channel]YouTube - Saab 9-5 Vector 3.0 TiD with knackered Dual Mass Flywheel - Gear lever shake 1[/ame]

I would love it to be just a mounting. Haven't eaten since friday with worry :crying::crying: Spent hours and hours reading and researching the matter - DMF seems the most likely but a mounting would be an excuse for a party now!

You shouldn't be worried anyway. Get the vendor to sort the problem out, it's what you pay a premium for when you buy from a dealer. :001_smile:

• 7 months later...