Two tricky willow dismantles.

mistahbenn

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Neil,

Grahams view is take fence down and try to find a gap to winch fell into, or at least fell the tops out:001_smile:

haha

yes. I considered asking the farmer if I could fell that other split willow underneath onto his wheat, then fell these two onto his crops, making a huge mess. would have taken half the effort, but hey, when working for corporations, you gotta play ball.

The wide angle lens of that camera gives a funny effect, not really showing the true scene. Also the batteries die frequently so you chose to record not all the work.

As for roping off, the less cuts the climber makes saves energy and time, and ballache, but also not to ruin that fence too much, which you could not evaluate unless you were on the job yourself.

I agree mate, you cant always get the whole pic from a vid. I personally would have made a few more cuts and rigged those larger pieces down in smaller bits, if that was possible. I think the extra few mins and bit of energy would have been worth using. Forgive me for saying this but some of the cutting looked like it was rushed because the cutter didn't really trust what he was doing so just got through it quick to get it out the way. Thats just my take on the vid. At the end of the day its all on the floor, wasn't the nicest job and as others have said everyone lives to fight another day so:thumbup1:

Honest warts'n'all vid.

Good work on horrible trees, I thought.

Gotta love Willow, breaks so easy, then holds on like a b**tard when you want it to break!

Looks like one of those jobs when you breathe a big sigh of relief when you get back on the ground, and get that warm glowy feeling and feel a bit chuffed with yourself.

You deserve to.

Thanks for posting.

• 1 month later...
DILLIGAF lets see some of your expert work.

This thread was all over a month or so ago.

DILLIGAF seems a strange thing to say if what I said has been eating away at you for a month. Time to get over it I think.

If you have read many of my posts you will know I dont argue or post criticism on here for no reason. If I see a vid which is good, I say so, if I see a vid where I think it could have been done better, I say that too.

Nothing I said was personal, I didn't even know you were the climber. I think my last post on the subject was well balanced, yes I said it wasn't perfect but look at the end part of the post, it wasn't just pointless criticism was it.

When I was doing tree work, I didn't video myself working. So, sorry cant post anything to criticise i'm afraid.

hard to judge from the video the real situation or time scales and pressures for job etc. my view was just cutting far to bigger bits for the space its ment to fit into. i think you could have tied the limbs off in better places instead of just above where you was cutting, it would have helped you out alot i think. also with the ears on your cuts have you tryed doing them a couple inches below the cut thats what i do and ive never had a problem. other than that was a good video look forward to more :thumbup1:

Ben.

To be fair i groundied on that job,and i have to agree with arbclimber.

Your'e a good climber but you seemed too keen to be dropping huge pieces just because we had the riggging gear and you wanted to use it.I did offer a bit of advice but you did'nt seem interested in what i had to say either.I know i probably don't look like your average 6 packed super climber, but have been at it for 18 years(worked for local authorities to small firms, to big Eucs in Australia), and have picked up a few tricks along the way.We could of made that job a little easier with some better communication i reckon. But, as we'd only worked together on a few occasions no-one likes to assume they know best do they?

We had plenty of time, no pressure, but sending bits down that size made my life much more difficult as i was on my todd and i spent half the time tieing off, cutting small bits, clearing, lowering the next part of this ruddy great branch and generally struggling where i did'nt really have to.

Not knocking you for this, just something to think on for next time.Gladly work with you again, maybe i'll climb next and make you sweat:001_tongue: