Arborist are we skilled or semi skilled

BTS

If someone is able to go to a client's property: correctly identify all the trees on that property; is capable of ascertaining any fungal infection or structural defects on those trees; identify a serious root decaying fungi eg Ustulina on a large beech tree adjacent to a fragile building; devise a method for dismantling the tree to ground level and remove everything without causing damage; provide an accurate quote for doing the work. Then do the job as quoted, without damage. Then advise the client on a replacement tree, suitable for the soil and site conditions. How can that person possibly be described as semi-skilled?

I think one of the main points being missed in this debate is natural aptitude.

I would argue all the very good climbers I have known will have had an inherent ability, a gift if you prefer.

I think all the best people in any field have an inbuilt ability that takes them above and beyond their training.

I could not agree more, and that applies to all things in life, we all have SOMETHING that we are good at, other things we can learn to be good at, but when we find and choose to continue learning what we have natural flair for we excel.

:thumbup:

If someone is able to go to a client's property: correctly identify all the trees on that property; is capable of ascertaining any fungal infection or structural defects on those trees; identify a serious root decaying fungi eg Ustulina on a large beech tree adjacent to a fragile building; devise a method for dismantling the tree to ground level and remove everything without causing damage; provide an accurate quote for doing the work. Then do the job as quoted, without damage. Then advise the client on a replacement tree, suitable for the soil and site conditions. How can that person possibly be described as semi-skilled?

Easy if its only a semi skilled industry. I think it was Rupe who made an excellent point. If you think about all the skills in the world, and the amazing things surgeons, scientists, engineers and all sorts of others do and divide us all into 3 categories. I too think Tree work is lucky to scrape into the middle one.

there is no doubt it takes a level of skill to do this job, but we are all pretty much the same kind of guys, with similar interests, and most probably level of skills and maybe even IQ, now if we were all to get an oppertunity to have a go on a 747 flight simnulator or design a bridge to span 3 miles or even have a go at heart surgery. How do you think we will do, there are most probably heart surgeons out there that think their job is easy, pilots too. I wouldnt get hung up on what others think or a tick in a certain box for my job title. If it makes a diference in your pay packet at the end of the week, then thats diferent you will have to fight your corner on that one.

there is no doubt it takes a level of skill to do this job, but we are all pretty much the same kind of guys, with similar interests, and most probably level of skills and maybe even IQ, now if we were all to get an oppertunity to have a go on a 747 flight simnulator or design a bridge to span 3 miles or even have a go at heart surgery. How do you think we will do, there are most probably heart surgeons out there that think their job is easy, pilots too. I wouldnt get hung up on what others think or a tick in a certain box for my job title. If it makes a diference in your pay packet at the end of the week, then thats diferent you will have to fight your corner on that one.

All good points. I would say that many on here are prob better tree surgeons than me, especially from a knowledge point of view. Hamadryad's tree and fungi knowledge makes mine look positively insignificant. I do however have cert, diploma and Bsc qualifications in my choosen field and am soon to achieve Msc so i'm a happy bunny.

Everyone has different skills and everyone has to best work out how to use those skills. Some on here are very skilled tree surgeons, how that relates outside of the arb environment i'm not sure. If you want to be a tree surgeon and are skilled at it, happy days.

Good point about the pay issue though. If you can get better pay by argueing your point with regards to skill level then do it, who wouldn't.:thumbup1:

i am money motivated mate, the amount of money i make=what i think my real skill level is. thats how i look at it, so thats why i dont bother about what others think, my accountant tells me at the end of the year lol

There are many though, that rely on what others think in order to make a decent amount of money. I think this is the sticking point of this debate. It matters to both of us what our customers think, as if you go to do an estimate and the customer thinks you are unskilled and unknowledgable you would never get any work. I think it may have been you who said its down to each individual to sell himself to the client. This is very true, and probably the most important skill in any business. I know I for one have to sell myself to clients most days of the week, I know I am good at what I do, but I still need them to believe it in order to justify my bill if nothing else.

It matters to both of us what our customers think, as if you go to do an estimate and the customer thinks you are unskilled and unknowledgable you would never get any work. .

Thats easy to solve, if the customer thinks it's unskilled and easy as one did with me, I just told him I would hire him my gear if I could film him doing the job, because I'd probably earn another £200 sending the clip in

i work locally and pretty much know everyone who calls me , i have been jobbing now myself sice i was 14, 20 years so most know me by now. there are some customers who will use diferent tradesman everytime and only want the cheapest quote and have an easy target they can take advantage of, i dont want that kind. i run my business like a good pub does, if i dont like you and you stop me looking after my good customers then you are barred. simples.

Thats easy to solve, if the customer thinks it's unskilled and easy as one did with me, I just told him I would hire him my gear if I could film him doing the job, because I'd probably earn another £200 sending the clip in

:lol::lol:

There are always the customers who 'would do it themselves' but haven't got time. I was told by a customer that I should be able to quote over the phone because her husband told her it was an easy job and the tree was safe to climb.

I told her i'd be the judge of that.

Never thought of filming customers doing it themselves so I could send it to You've been framed though. Genius.:lol: