Ethical tree surgery

bareroots

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not touching a tree with any kind of saw tbh.:001_smile:

trees and people need moderators and we're them. a completely necessary profession. however since we all make a fairly good living from our proficient arbocidal habits shouldn't we be proactive in replenishing the stock?

A friend of mine runs a small company which tries to replant somewhere for every tree he takes down. I think thats good and have started to do the same. Finding space can be a problem. At the end of the day it`s better to plant 10 trees that actually survive than 1000 that don`t.

From a buisness point of view its always better, i think, to try and get customers to prune rather than fell, therefore felling less

I was wondering what being an ethical tree surgeon would entail...

Should active tree planting be considered an intrinsic part of this? :thumbup1: or :thumbdown:

Hi 'Bareroots',

Great post, great question....but I don't have a definitive answer.

Perhaps, simplistically ('MY' middle name), it means putting the tree first, i.e treating the tree as the client, and replacemnet planting on at least a 'one for one' basis.

Interestingly(?), 2 years ago we made tree planting a 'compulsary' element of the AC completed works operations, which has been a bit of an 'eye opener' for a seemingly simple skill (that's another story) BUT, primarily, the reason we did this was because we were very mindful of the fact that for another part of the assessment, the 'active worksite', we require to see a tree being removed (usually) and that we had a responsibility to try and counter/compensate for this AND encourage arb contractors to undertake tree planting and active promote this to their clients. I sincerly hope it works.

Further, in terms of prunig trees, my view would be taht 'ethical' arb actively promotes the "less is more" and "little but often" approach to tree work BUT how realistic this as I dunno....probably not greatly so!

One contractor who recently became AC was extremely keen on the concept of ethical arb and, to a large extent, his justification of this was undertaking crown thinning operations instead of heavy reductions/'topping' etc.

Great thread and one I'll watch with interest.

Cheers..

Paul

Hi 'Bareroots',

Interestingly(?), 2 years ago we made tree planting a 'compulsary' element of the AC completed works operations, which has been a bit of an 'eye opener' for a seemingly simple skill (that's another story)

Concious of the fact that I know very little... Any good online resources on tree planting?