health and safety policy

John Shutler

Don't you mean 32 letters!!

Get spikes out of bag, cut down tree, tidy.

Oh sorry that was the method statement in 32 letters.

Risk assessment ......

Gravity sucks and Chainsaws are sharp

Health and safety policy.

Statement of general policy is:

To provide adequate control of the health and safety risks arising from our work activities.

To consult with our employees on matters affecting their health and safety.

To provide and maintain safe plant and equipment.

To ensure safe handling and use of substances.

To provide information, instruction and supervision for employees.

To ensure all employees are competent to do their tasks, and to give them adequate training.

To prevent accidents and cases of work related ill health.

To maintain safe and healthy working conditions.

To review and revise this policy as necessary at regular intervals.

Signed and dated.

Review date in 6 months.

Reet, Paul 'Sad Git Policy Reading NEBOSH Nurd' here...and 'yes' I do read H&S Policies, Method Satements and Risk Assessments AND Insurance Policies just to top it off...there, beat that you people with lives!

I often challenge policies during AC assessments, more particularly now we award CHAS as well, not to be awkard or 'a jobs worth' but because it does matter and done properly it can help you better manage H&S and reduce accident likelihoods and outcomes etc. In so doing (challenging policies) I often get the response well no-one else have ever challenged it in the last 10 years of sending it 'here there and everywhere'...that's because that is a 'jobs worth' asking for it to tick another box on their list, and provided its curent, dated and signed you're sorted! Wouldn't be the first time ever taht I've read alot about asbestos, lead poisoning, scaffold configurations and COSHH assessments for paints and thinners etc. = just be careful who you're paying £850 to produce your policy and make sure they understand your industry and what you do!

Jokin apart, for what it worth, we produce a 'H&S Package' (£45+p&p) which contains 'the bones' for a H&S Policy, amongst lots of other good stuff (honest!)

Failing that the HSE have a simple policy document at http://www.hse.gov.uk/business/policy-statement.pdf whihc is appropraiet for smaller businesses and there's also a combined Risk Assessment & Policy template at HSE to launch Risk Assessment and Policy Template, 1 September 2009 – Partnership news which may suffice for the office element of the business, i.e.low risk, but unlikley to be deemed suitable and appropriate for the 'sharp end' of what we do.

There, bet you're gald I contributed now....NOT (sorweee!!!)

Cheers all..

Paul

• Like 1

The Arb Association do a H&S pack (at least they did) for about £50.00. It includes samples of all required docs AND soft copies in a CD so you can edit them for your own company. The samples are worded according to best practice so you can't go far wrong.

You even get a big official folder which you can keep handy in the cab if anybody asks.

Well worth a look.