birch prune today.

Morning,

Can anyone offer any advice/guidelines on pruning a birch today,

i have done some research and am concerned about causing harm with respect to bleeding at this time of year,

it is very healthy about 12 to 15 years old and approx 20cm DBH.

Thanks for taking time to read/help.

hiya , firstly how much are you reducing the Birch by and what are the reasons for reducing a young Birch ?? . my best advice is not to go to heavy when reducing it and because of their growth habbit do not go trying to make it look like the perfect lollypop shape try and keep the tree looking as Birch like as possible

thanks,

mainly the customer wants to reduce the "body" of it to prevent it intruding into neighbors garden, and to keep it under control,

the amount removed was to be at the customers preference, to remove a little and to stop when she was happy, within reason.

Am i being overly concerned about the bleeding factor?

thank you,

i was looking forward to this job, (and i need the money!!),

your knowledge has put me at ease now.

I think I,d leave it . I have been noticing that S/ Birch trees are bleeding as early as the 6th of feb this year . They seem to me to have been getting earlier every year with regards sap rising and bleeding issues .

Edited by White Noise

If your not taking too much off, It'll be fine, Id do it

Birch dont respond well to heavy pruning at all, No matter what the time of year, So if its just a nice wee reduction/lift/thin, I reckon you'll be ok.

At this time of year i would try and stay away from anything above 30-40mm cuts or white bark,-it will bleed!

I personally dont like pruning them anyway, especially reductions as it can introduce early decay.

Would probably try and promote a lift and possible light thin, explain they are a short lived tree and when it gets too big, have it out and start again.

My ten

While I don't like pruning maples/birches/dogwood, or any species that bleeds, during that season, research has shown that there's no detrimental affect to the tree.

That said, pruning shouldn't be done during bud break and leaf formation.

And, here in the Pacific Northwest, we prefer not to do crown reductions, especially on birches. Preferably, a good thinning, and end weight reduction if its called for is best.

If the yard size calls for reduction pruning, at least try to be subtle, and start early in the tree's life so the effect is minimal. No big cuts with birch..they're poor compartmentalizers.

went ahead and got it done today,

and good to see that my work fell into all the suggested criteria, in the main.

Thanks for all your feedback, i'll post a picture before n after of the work, subtle as it was later when camera battery is charged.:thumbup: