Taxus baccata cuttings

Dean Lofthouse

Cutting are doing well :thumbup:

There is vigerous new growth starting on most of the cutting now after 2 and a bit months, I'd say 80 out of 100 are definately rooted now and growing the other 20 (which I didnt use rooting compound and stuck in 3 year old mulch ) are taking root but are well behind, I may lose one or two but all are still green but not showing new buds

Chuffed, saved myself a fortune in the long run, just need to take another 5 or 600 cuttings back end for planting spring next year and we should be something like

Image0158.jpg.ed6c480e612b8c6aca65c0b116f5287c.jpg

Image0157.jpg.c5905a25d52975fb5e9c2b268260231a.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They look like they took well! Nice one!

Anyone who has any Taxus cuttings can sell them to Limehurst Limehurst Limited - Yew Harvesters as they are used in the production of Tamoxifen to help women battle breast cancer. I am sure you guys have loads you could sell and think of all the women (and breasts :001_rolleyes: if it helps) that you would be helping! :001_smile:

Dean,

Up at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park there are some really dense mature yew hedges with plants at over a metre spacing.

I'm sure 18" will be fine, but it might take a little bit longer for the hedge to fill out.

By the way Dean, if you start selling local provenance planting stock let us know.

Cheers Guys

I reckoned on 18" and have just scoured google and found one site recommending hedges over 2 ft tall be spaced 18"

That means the 120 plants I have will cover the distance for the first batch, just have to wait 10 years to enjoy a nice hedge

No worries Arb Culture, I'll let you know :thumbup1: