estimating standing volume

Hi iam looking for the calculation to estimate standing timber volume, iam doing some course work and the calculation is based on a 6 hectare conifer woods of around 20 years . is there a standard calculation all help would be much appreciated

Estimation of Tree Volume from Diameter

Tree diameter Estimated tree volume

at breast height (m3,overbark)

(cm) Conifers Broadleaves

5 - 0.01 / 0.01

10 - 0.04 / 0.04

15 - 0.1 / 0.1

20 - 0.25 / 0.25

25 - 0.45 / 0.4

30 - 0.7 / 0.6

35 - 1 / 0.9

40 - 1.5 / 1.2

So work out the average size of the tree at breast height & working on the stocking of 2500 trees per Hectare will give you the estimated volume over bark.

thats a bit vague, the crop could be carrot shaped or very stretched, u need average tree height to make a more accurate calculation..

BTS asked for an estimate,If he wanted to be excact he would have to measure all the trees in the wood,lol.

The other way to do it is break the woodland down into small plots & measure lets say 20 trees so you can work out the average size in the plot & then you can calculate the overall volume.I beleive this is the way the FC do it.

Hi Ross

Yes that's the accepted method, certainly was in my Forest Service NI years!

2500 stems/ha at 20 years? 100% take on the initial stocking of 2m x 2m (10,000m2 / 2m x 2m = 2500stem/ha) Blimey you guys are really good!!!! LOL! 1700-1800 would be closer to the truth IMO.

BTS

You probably want to bang in a few inventory plots. Personally I would get my hands on FC Booklet 39 Forest Mensuration and use the worked example detailed on page 110 as the basis of your calculations.

Its not as daunting as it sounds and mixes circular plots (5.6m radius = 0.01ha) and top heights to obtain a tariff number obtained by species on table 11. (As long as the crop is not that variable!) Relascope work in 20 year old conifer is nigh on impossible in my experience, but heh, knock yourself out!

cheers

PM

Edited by Pine Marten

BTS asked for an estimate,If he wanted to be excact he would have to measure all the trees in the wood,lol.

The other way to do it is break the woodland down into small plots & measure lets say 20 trees so you can work out the average size in the plot & then you can calculate the overall volume.I beleive this is the way the FC do it.

This is the way the FC do it. Basicly take a number of plots, measure those trees in the plot and go from there.

H