Inonotus dryadeus

John Hancock

Just been to quote for removal of a 80ft Ash with same fungus. Tree has healthy crown, verticle extensive cracks from base to three metres, no heartwood left at base- can see through the tree!

Heavy lean towards stone barn about ten metres away, and about six metres from power lines. In a field with no vehicle access. Head scratcher coz I can't understand how it is still upright and if it can,t be climbed for reasons of safety- what's the answer with no access for cranes etc? Got to be the most bloody difficult take down I have ever seen.:confused:

Big tracked platform, get pics, doubt its inonotus at ground level.

Probably still climbable if it survived the winds this year.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The power lines are heavy duty wth two parallel poles and arial sub box.

You may be right about the fungi John and I'll get picks if they ask me back. The rot in the stem is significant, ie 70%.

Mega £££ but someone will get the job or the barn is :wave:

Big tracked platform, get pics, doubt its inonotus at ground level.

Probably still climbable if it survived the winds this year.

Maybe could get big tracked platform in through two miles of fields. No where for it to go tho as slope is :thumbsdown:.

I think climbing it could be possible but with stems like that you just want to get it on the ground and you can't, coz of the lowering.

A climber I worked with once said all trees are climbable if they are still standing. I don't agree but he is still alive- I think. Top climber when I knew him. Any way back to Fungus. Any better books than David Lonsdale's.

For tree related fungi I've yet to come accross any book better than principles of tree hazard assessment and management by Lonsdale. Manual of wood Decays in trees, Weber and Mattheck, is also OK.

Advice from the Fungi ID course at Tree Life was to use lots of different ones. I like google images, as you gett lots of different photo's. Some are not what they say they are but lots are pretty good.

the power lines are 11kv, anything with a transformers etc on a pole is 11/20kv......u CANNOT fell anything within 2 tree lengths of the line without informing ur Electrical Controller. if the branches are within 2 metres or would enter 2 metres when cut , of the live line then it will have to be a shutdown and even then u have to have correct tickets. i suggest u take the pole number and branch line and report the tree to ur local energy supplier

g

the power lines are 11kv, anything with a transformers etc on a pole is 11/20kv......u CANNOT fell anything within 2 tree lengths of the line without informing ur Electrical Controller. if the branches are within 2 metres or would enter 2 metres when cut , of the live line then it will have to be a shutdown and even then u have to have correct tickets. i suggest u take the pole number and branch line and report the tree to ur local energy supplier

g

I told the customer to get in touch with the power compony so ticked that box.

As for getting the shutdown. We have had a number of jobs where we have had the lines off by Fountains or other without tickets.

I don't take on work right next to lines anyway.

Know a few tree companies who will. I think there needs to be more clarity on the subject.

Had a boss once of a reputable company in the south East who asked me to work in conifers on a wet day with 3 phase running through them.:scared: Did'nt do it of course.

Any one shed more light on subject. Sorry Iv'e lost the fungie thread!

• 5 months later...

Found three large Inonotus dryadeus brackets today on an Oak.

Read through Lonsdale and noted the resting of fruiting bodies , interesting as a neighbouring tree has several old decaying brackets but no fresh ones.

Any sugestions as to the best method for establishing the ammount of decay under the main roots?

The tree is 4' accross and 80' high 8' from a busy minor road.