first steps

ecolojim

wow sounds like a great bit of experience for me, and always great to meet people i can learn from. that's what it's all about for me. I'm just hoping I can make it, even for a while. The date puts it right smack in the middle of red-eye time. think thats about a week or maybe two before my final uni hand-ins so I might be snowed under or just no good for anything much, but I WILL try! thanks!

jim

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At no point on their website do Treesunlimited say that the screwgates are for climbing.

As for not being mentioned at companies house, your having a laugh aint you? Since when was being registered with companies house the sign of a reputable business? ha ha.

What are they selling them for then??

99% of businesses that do a decent amount of trading become Ltd Co's. I would rather deal with a Ltd Co - they can't just up sticks and disappear without a trace. With a Ltd Co everything is out in the open - directors names and addresses, turnover, profit, amounts paid out as salaries, etc... Much less likely to find a disreputable Ltd Co than a sole trader when there is so much info publicly available on companies.

Back to the biners.. Most rock climbers I've come across won't touch the 3 ways they think their dangerous.. I do use them..

Rock climbing is very different,its almost 2D so the rope only tends to go in one direction unlike working a tree which is very 3D IMO :wave:

99% of businesses that do a decent amount of trading become Ltd Co's. I would rather deal with a Ltd Co - they can't just up sticks and disappear without a trace. With a Ltd Co everything is out in the open - directors names and addresses, turnover, profit, amounts paid out as salaries, etc... Much less likely to find a disreputable Ltd Co than a sole trader when there is so much info publicly available on companies.

If a Ltd Co goes bump on you,your stuffed,they simply set their wife up as director and start a new Co,and you cannot touch their personal assets.

The only time I've not got paid was a Ltd Co,they owed me £900+vat,I got a letter from the receiver to say they had gone bust they walked away from £250,000 worth of debt and never even stopped trading in real terms,they just transfered every thing into a new Co in their wives names,added UK to the old Co name and carried on,they even built the bungalow on the site i had cleared for them!!!:cussing:

Where did you get the figure of 99% from? I think your miles off.

Most of us who are small Ltd Co's went Ltd to get tax free dividends,which were ended in 2005.

Nice one pecon,i was hoping thats what you had in mind,some of use are experienced but some what "old school",I'm keen to try some of these "new fangled techniques" :alien::elefant:

I was thinking of getting a hitch-climber before the day and also wondered if any one could recommend a good cord for a VT etc and what length?

Cheers Dave:icon14:

I'm the same, old school. It's only recently I have been trying out a few new stuff, hitch climber inc.

PeteMctree introduced me to it and he will be there on the day. I have some 8 or 9mm cord I've had for ages and have made some different lengths up.

Started with a 1m length before any knots, then 1.1m, 1.2m. When the knots are put in that 1.1m length you end up with a VT cord about 700mm, so allow 400mm for the knots.

If a Ltd Co goes bump on you,your stuffed,they simply set their wife up as director and start a new Co,and you cannot touch their personal assets.

The only time I've not got paid was a Ltd Co,they owed me £900+vat,I got a letter from the receiver to say they had gone bust they walked away from £250,000 worth of debt and never even stopped trading in real terms,they just transfered every thing into a new Co in their wives names,added UK to the old Co name and carried on,they even built the bungalow on the site i had cleared for them!!!:cussing:

Talking about buying a couple of carabiners! Bit different to being owed loads of money from a ltd co!

Where did you get the figure of 99% from? I think your miles off.

Most of us who are small Ltd Co's went Ltd to get tax free dividends,which were ended in 2005.

Most big businesses are Ltd Cos or PLCs - fact. Might have something to do with corporation tax?:heeeelllllooooo:

How come so many arb suppliers sell screwgate crabs for climbing if they don't meet h&s requirements?

If you ask a rope access worker wether they should use a screwgate karabiner or a 3way they would reply screwgate. It all depends on the interpretation of the industry standards. Scafolders use huge snap gates, are they wrong for following their industry standards. The HSE do not make the rules they enforce the industry standards.

http://www.rigg-access.com/wwwboard/album_showpage.php?pic_id=7&mode=next#TopPic

check their pictures, no sign of a 3 way.