first steps

ecolojim

They will still sell screw gates as long as people are buying them.....people like my dad who have spent there whole career on them and dont trust these new fangled devices! i dont get it but he tells me he checks the biner constantly and is part of his routine hes never had one fail and doesnt trust a 3 way gate or ball locks if i brought him some 3 ways he would probably use them on his tool strop...

I only switched to 3 ways 4 years ago myself!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he tells me he checks the biner constantly and is part of his routine

I used to do the same and often found they had come loose:scared:

People like what their used to and he's aware of there faults and checks them regularly, so who are we to tell him what to use :icon14::wave:

just to try and drag this away from 'biner-conomy' for a while. Going to buy a couple of 3way lockers this morning and then this afternoon head up our golden weeping willow. See about moving around the canopy, try tying in with the other end of my line etc.

Anything specific to the species to be careful of?

Fair enough dude, might just stick with the oak for now then.

but yeah, biners too. Are any of them better than others or is it just personal preference. the ball locks seem to be more expensive, and like i put earlier, I seem to recall people having trouble with a fairly recent petzl one locking up on them, or not locking, because of the ball. Is it better to go with the regular 3 way lock biners for that reason? less to go wrong

I would say it down to personal preference,i have never tried the ball lock so cannot comment.

Are you using a cambium saver? If your rec climbing its really a must,it will save your rope and your arms as well :icon14: :wave:

I wasn't yesterday, but it's on my (ever lengthening) list of stuff to get so i'll pick one up asap

cheers

just to try and drag this away from 'biner-conomy' for a while. Going to buy a couple of 3way lockers this morning and then this afternoon head up our golden weeping willow. See about moving around the canopy, try tying in with the other end of my line etc.

Anything specific to the species to be careful of?

jim, a few of us are hopefully getting together to talk knots and hitches on the 19th April.

There will be some experienced climbers there to guide you. We will have a few ropes set up with different friction hitches and setups.

You can study how they are setup and go and try it out on a nearby tree with guidance.

It will be at Brighouse in Bradley Wood. Do a google and you will see where it is. I will post more details nearer the time. If you are near Leeds, it's only a 30 minute run for you and the wood is at the side of the M62 but you obviously have to go thru brighouse to get to it.

Your more than welcome, bring your silky, there's plently of deadwooding to do :icon14::wave:

jim, a few of us are hopefully getting together to talk knots and hitches on the 19th April.

There will be some experienced climbers there to guide you. We will have a few ropes set up with different friction hitches and setups.

You can study how they are setup and go and try it out on a nearby tree with guidance.

Nice one pecon,i was hoping thats what you had in mind,some of use are experienced but some what "old school",I'm keen to try some of these "new fangled techniques" :alien::elefant:

I was thinking of getting a hitch-climber before the day and also wondered if any one could recommend a good cord for a VT etc and what length?

Cheers Dave:icon14: