starting out

james mack

Hi one and all,

Been looking through a few threads and as usual things are quite conflicting and confusing.

I am soon to be 20 and after a year working for a lawn care company have decided I want to get into this sector.

Now I'm not entirely sure where to start. I have contacted my local company and they told me several options available out there. I'm interested in the climbing but also in the very fine details.

Apprenticeship, National Diploma, Advanced course, foundation degree, BSc???? what routes open what doors?

I've looked through several courses, at different places and Myerscough stood out as a great place. Anyone experienced it?

I read the BSc module description and I found it really interesting and got me wanting to learn. However I fear doing something like that wont allow me to climb?

As you can tell I'm pretty confused at the moment with the route to go down.

I do realise around all of the courses experience will play a big part in gaining employment

Hi James, Climbing trees is a strange old game. If its really climbing you are interested in, I would try and find somone who would give you a little taster of what its all about.

Its surprising often that someone thinks it the game for them, only to hate every second of being on the end of a rope with nothing beneath their feet but air.

If you are anywhere near Tonbridge in kent at the weekend, there is a get together that would let you try before you buy, as it were. If not, Where aboust are you?

all the best..

I have studied at myerscough and a number of my mates did the degree there as well it was spot on would happily recomend it to anyone! I personally have done 1 year of the national diploma and so far havent experienced any horror stories!

Im based in north lincs. My background, im a trained mountain leader, used to climb, have a endurance abseil of a crane tower (nothing beats dangling from a rope at 1am in the middle of glasgow) and my parents are both professional gardeners. So the outdoors life is one i have loved, and I enjoy a good physical day.

10 week course covers alot of theory and gives you youre practicle tickets for climbing+a little climbing experience, tech cert after a couple of years once youve been round a tree seen all the defects/understand the tree from within the tree :)

i keep forgetting about those ten weekers, yes hes right, do that first.:thumbup: