Mewp

Highland Forestry

Controls are easy on the Teupen's, only takes a while to figure them out and the boxes are remote operated so no wires or leads when tracking through the forest and you can be about 25ft away.

I'll try and get a few pics of the control panel if we take it out on Monday, bucket isn't a bad size either with two men and a saw and the reach and range make it easy to get right into the crown or go up and over and then drop into the top. If you look on the Teupen site they did have a case study of somebody using one for tree work. The Leo 30 is a great machine: 100ft reach, 360 degree turn, fixed outriggers, good ground clearance etc etc

Been reading up on the Leo 30.... that's the one we need, it checks all the boxes I can think of, and your pics of it working in the woods give me alot of confidence that it will do the job well.

I was looking at a company about 25 miles from me in Inverness - they hire the Teupen units but the biggest the do is the one below the Leo 30..

Will be calling them tomorrow to see if they can get a bigger one, if not I might have to look further afield.

Out of interest, what are they to buy new???

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing with Teupens is the controls are not inverted.

If your used to forklifts' date=' tractors etc where forward is down and back is up, they can take a while to get used to! :001_smile:[/quote']

Luckily it won't be me operating it! Dare say I'll have to have a wee shot of her though, see what she can do.

Been reading up on the Leo 30.... that's the one we need, it checks all the boxes I can think of, and your pics of it working in the woods give me alot of confidence that it will do the job well.

I was looking at a company about 25 miles from me in Inverness - they hire the Teupen units but the biggest the do is the one below the Leo 30..

Will be calling them tomorrow to see if they can get a bigger one, if not I might have to look further afield.

Out of interest, what are they to buy new???

No probs, I think it was between £120 and £140k new or there abouts! I work for the City of London same as David but I work out of Epping and the terrain we track it across is pretty sketchy at times but it copes well and has been used all through the winter in the slush and the mud. The tracks can chew the ground up a bit but if it's in the woods then it can be smoothed over - obviously a different story in Mrs Miggin's garden! If you hire the machine with an operator then they'll be able to advise and get it to site for you easy enough, we sometimes have to set up on steep banks/uneven grounds and it always self levels well - it also has a manual overide for each leg as well. We transport ours on a flat back trailer pulled by a Valtra (about 100hp) and is yet to get stuck or struggle. The Leo 30 has a gross weight of around 4 ton from memory so is a big lump. Like I say if we are out in it tomorrow I'll try and get some shots/video of it being tracked through the forest so you get the idea and can see the ground clearance. :001_smile:

No probs, I think it was between £120 and £140k new or there abouts! I work for the City of London same as David but I work out of Epping and the terrain we track it across is pretty sketchy at times but it copes well and has been used all through the winter in the slush and the mud. The tracks can chew the ground up a bit but if it's in the woods then it can be smoothed over - obviously a different story in Mrs Miggin's garden! If you hire the machine with an operator then they'll be able to advise and get it to site for you easy enough, we sometimes have to set up on steep banks/uneven grounds and it always self levels well - it also has a manual overide for each leg as well. We transport ours on a flat back trailer pulled by a Valtra (about 100hp) and is yet to get stuck or struggle. The Leo 30 has a gross weight of around 4 ton from memory so is a big lump. Like I say if we are out in it tomorrow I'll try and get some shots/video of it being tracked through the forest so you get the idea and can see the ground clearance. :001_smile:

120-140K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????

HOLY S***!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Cheers Jay, pics are good... can get alot more from a picture than words.

I had no idea they were that kind of money... that's unreal.

Having said that, if you need one, you need one I suppose.

City of London Council must have a much better budget than me :blushing:

120-140K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????

HOLY S***!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Cheers Jay, pics are good... can get alot more from a picture than words.

I had no idea they were that kind of money... that's unreal.

Having said that, if you need one, you need one I suppose.

A lot of the Veteran Oak's and Beeche's that we work on have large amounts of decay and aren't always safe to climb so the Teupen is useful, we've got a truck mounted one as well but the reach is only 16m (Iveco) and isn't 4WD so can/will/does get stuck:001_rolleyes:

There's a second hand one for sale in the link below, 4 years old and a snip at £100K :blushing:

There's a few pics on there as well

2006 TEUPEN LEO 30T Lift - Boom For Sale At MachineryTrader.co.uk

Matt, it has to be said that the CoL, although seen in the industry as the big wealthy LA, is actually in the same boat as all the Local Authorities, In terms of dealing with recesion & the inevitable asociated cutbacks.

It (Epping Forest) has however manged to win a 4.76 mil Heritage Lotery Fund grant, to help toward re-establishing traditional Forest management through grazing and pollarding amongst other educational & access issues.

This will help pay for a five year program of yearly apprenticeships like Jay, and correct me if I'm wrong J, but also procured the Teupen.

Lot of time & hard work went in to the bid, and dividends are being realised.

This should be a blue print for other LA's and forward thinking firms. :thumbup1:

Start saving them pennies though :001_tongue:

Matt, it has to be said that the CoL, although seen in the industry as the big wealthy LA, is actually in the same boat as all the Local Authorities, In terms of dealing with recesion & the inevitable asociated cutbacks.

It (Epping Forest) has however manged to win a 4.76 mil Heritage Lotery Fund grant, to help toward re-establishing traditional Forest management through grazing and pollarding amongst other educational & access issues.

This will help pay for a five year program of yearly apprenticeships like Jay, and correct me if I'm wrong J, but also procured the Teupen.

This should be a blue print for other LA's and forward thinking firms. :thumbup1:

Starting to get a bit scared to be honest... if it's a 120k machine, what on earth are they going to charge me for daily hire!!

Ahh i know the LA is not an endless pot of money, but I have to say the LA tree teams seem to have all the kit they need (and quite rightly so) !

I look at this game, sorry, industry, as a big ladder, and all the companies on it, be they one man band's, larger companies and even bigger companies have to work thier way up the ladder step by step..

That's how I've got to where we are now, taking small steps, mostly with kit etc and taking on extra clients. My last step was to purchase a chipper, the next one is the valmet and botex.... a few steps up and I may have a Teupen on the list :biggrin:

Yep that's correct David, the lottery funding/bid paid for the Teupen as well as a new Chipper and the addition of us apprentices and another 3 arb's as well.

As you've said the money is part of the 5 year plan in which COL receives funding for work on the Veteran pollards, wood pasture restoration as well as education and training within the local community. Part of the money has also been used for the refurbishment of listed buildings and vistor attractions.

If anybody is interested the link below gives a break down of the HLF funding/project:001_smile:

Branching Out Project (HLF) Bid