processor chain or circular saw

marc771234

i am looking a buying a used firewood machine i use to work for a bloke many years a go who had a processor that was a circular saw it was made by posch iv used that machine for 6 years and it was great it cut fast and the ram was very powerful. now my new boss wants to buy a new one he wants me to go a look at one with a chain and i told him that the are not as good as circular saw ones but he wont have it.so i thought i would see what your point of view is and hope its the same as mine. does anyone have a second hand processor for sale good bad condition anything considered cash waiting

I have just had Kindlett's saw blade palax here for two days. Doing a lorry load resulted in .75m3 of saw dust (thats LOOSE filled in a bag not compressed solid wood). The saw blade has about a 3mm or less cut width. How wide is a chain on a processor?

If its:-

4mm thats 1m3

5mm thats 1.25m3

6mm thats 1.5m3

Of lost wood & extra wear & tear on the machine & more fuel used to remove it. It is also more waste for you to get rid of if you dont have a market for "dirty" (bark, chips, sticks & chain oil) sawdust.

have been using my japa sawbench (no splitter) for three days now,,blade version,,and am well happy with it,,,,its creates fine sawdust that local smallholding take for bedding animals down on,,,,,its much faster than a chainsaw,,far less tiring,,on my back,,,,and doesnt take two people,,,,,,couldnt aford processor at mo,,and till i source a regular supplier of timber to bring into my yard,,reckoned it would be £8k sat there doing nothing,,,so would choose the sawblade over chainsaw everytime,,,,

I used to use an old Japa with a circular saw, that noise would drive me mad (or did!!) When Steve got his processor I was impressed with how much quieter the Chain saw was. The ease of sharpening a chain has to be something to be thought about too. But its horses for courses, if you're used to sharpening a circular, then its probably no hassle.