Fitting Carbide tips to stump grinder

benedmonds

Any one any advice, where to buy (saturn knives don't do just the tips)

and how to braze them on.

We used the silver solder and the teeth all attached nice and firm, but when we use the grinder the tips started cracking. I'm guessing we got them too hot. How hot should you get the tips?

Also what do people use for checking for underground cables?

Ben, what colour do you get the shoes before putting the flux/tips on before sweating the silver solder in? If you get too much heat into the tip then it will get brittle, hence the shatter. They then need to cool down naturally, don't drop them in the sink!

A C.A.T tool is used to find underground cables etc (cable avoidance tool) and most utility companies should offer this service buckshee to protect their asset and you getting a bill!

I bought a load of tips from ebay (german guy) which were great. But since he doesnt sell them anymore I started buying from another source and bought the silver solder separate from a local welding supplier (the other tips came with the silver solder as little flat pieces) for some reason they wouldnt stick to the teeth. They looked good but kept finding them either falling off or shattering then falling off, dont know which tbh.

Just ended up buying a job lot of new teeth off ebay and have nearly used them all up so will be looking to source some tips if any know's a good supplier.

Why bother with the hassle Ben, just price it in for sharpening and replacement, couldnt be arsed with brazing tips on.

I use a CAT scanner to pick leccy and pipes, not bomb proof but helps. Find digging right round first can normally find most problems before the grinder is even fired up.

Our machine uses the stump pockets:

http://www.saturnmachineknives.co.uk/images/stump_pockets.jpg

Green Mech sell the carbide tips for £3 each the whole pocket is closer to £12. It does not appear to be a difficult job you just need to have the right solder, correct temperature and technique..

How much does a suitable CAT scanner cost. Do you need the genny unit?

Our machine uses the stump pockets:

http://www.saturnmachineknives.co.uk/images/stump_pockets.jpg

Green Mech sell the carbide tips for £3 each the whole pocket is closer to £12. It does not appear to be a difficult job you just need to have the right solder, correct temperature and technique..

How much does a suitable CAT scanner cost. Do you need the genny unit?

A new CAT scanner will be 400 quid mark but i got mine used for a 100, works spot on and just gives that bit more piece of mind. No you dont need a genny, unless you want to pick pipes up as well, i use mine really for leccy cables.