Need help with Tree Identification / classification

Hi all

i'm looking to identify these large trees growing above the laurels. Theyve been here so long by the looks of it and host so much wildlife in the garden. Want to make sure we look after them properly. One of our friends mentioned one may be a sycamore, but we're really not sure.

Incidentally also, would this be classified as a hedge given its continuous nature? (its a solid row of trees all around the perimeter of the garden, most of which lose their leaves in winter).

IMG_5733.thumb.jpg.23ea08bb21b62a692eed12665fa6fb83.jpg

IMG_5734.thumb.jpg.1abd597b6dc77491734725f08239a3c2.jpg

IMG_5738.thumb.jpg.c60d9e50e208b70d92ddf5e106e7eca2.jpg

thanks for your help all, really appreciated,  

Edited by GeddyMort

• GeddyMort changed the title to Need help with Tree Identification / classification

Thanks all, I'll get some better photos when its dry again to confirm.

If the assumption is correct that they're sycamore, cherry and maybe sallow. Is there any sort of special care or treatment they need to ensure they stay healthy?

and if I wanted to protect them (there's lots of wildlife in the garden I love it.) is there anything special or specific of a route I need to go down for these species? 

3 hours ago, GeddyMort said:

Thanks all, I'll get some better photos when its dry again to confirm.

If the assumption is correct that they're sycamore, cherry and maybe sallow. Is there any sort of special care or treatment they need to ensure they stay healthy?

and if I wanted to protect them (there's lots of wildlife in the garden I love it.) is there anything special or specific of a route I need to go down for these species? 

No special care. Trees are at their best when people leave them alone. But the sycamores will get big, then bigger and eventually will outstay their welcome. Neither sycamore nor cherry are good hedge species, so don't bother trimming, maybe just prune back every 2 or 3 years.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

No special care. Trees are at their best when people leave them alone. But the sycamores will get big, then bigger and eventually will outstay their welcome. Neither sycamore nor cherry are good hedge species, so don't bother trimming, maybe just prune back every 2 or 3 years.

thats great  glad i dont have to worry about them.

My question about protecting them, i think its a TPO in England, what are the steps i need to take with this type of tree? 

Edited by GeddyMort

3 minutes ago, GeddyMort said:

thats great  glad i dont have to worry about them.

My question about protect them, i think its a TPO in England, what are the steps i need to take with this type of tree? 

I am in Scotland, different laws. Hopefully someone down there will advise. Itsa a very vague question though, I don't think I would even tackle it if I was down there.

Ah I see, apologies for the vagueness. What can i do to make it less vague?

I have read that deciduous trees such as these may not need a protection order. But not sure if that is entirely true. This is in the south of England. I was looking to protect these from being cut down in the future.

Why do they need a protection order to be looked after? Are they your trees or a neighbours?

Depending on where you are the sycamore could get badly damaged by grey squirrels, worth checking to see if there's any bark stripping going on.

If you like wildlife I'd plant some more trees in that grass, or leave the grass to grow longer.