Grass cuttings under tree? Why is it a bad idea?

Pure, fresh grass cuttings in a thick carpet just give an overdose of nitrogen to the roots of a tree as it starts to break down, which can burn them, chemically. If it's heaped up against the trunk in a big pile, the heat of the decomposition can also burn the tree physically, literally cooking the cambium.

As it rots, the grass can form an airtight mat around the tree, preventing gas exchange to the roots.

If it's just grass trimmings from the grass itself under the tree, and not a dumping ground for the whole lawn, it's grand, the soil will digest it no problem. And grass clippings can be used as a mulch, but carefully, and sparingly. It's great at weed suppression. 

Doesn't look the prettiest in my opinion, better off composting it (or just leave it on the f*cking lawn, let the grass feed itself...!) and mulching with bark or woodchip instead.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, peds said:

Doesn't look the prettiest in my opinion, better off composting it (or just leave it on the f*cking lawn, let the grass feed itself...!) and mulching with bark or woodchip instead.

Does seam a waste of effort, collect it up to a compost heap and then spread it back on the grass later in the year... but... personally I have to consider my health and safety for trekking another load of grass clippings into the house when I come home. 

45 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Does seam a waste of effort, collect it up to a compost heap and then spread it back on the grass later in the year... but... personally I have to consider my health and safety for trekking another load of grass clippings into the house when I come home. 

Ready for another controversial opinion...

Shoes belong outdoors, and you are a monster for trekking anything into the house. That's why God invented slippers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peds said:

Ready for another controversial opinion...

Shoes belong outdoors, and you are a monster for trekking anything into the house. That's why God invented slippers. 

When abouts did God invent slipper give or take a couple of thousand years ?

8 minutes ago, peds said:

Not sure to be honest, some point in the last 6000 years though. He does move in mysterious ways. 

When he is moving in those mysterious ways is he wearing his slippers ?  

• Haha 1