Can this Japanese Maple be saved?

Hi everyone, 

I recently planted this Japanese Maple Acer Redpointe around 8 months ago. I estimate the tree to be around 5 years old. 

Anyhow the roots coming off the root flare have sharp right angle turns and reddit has pointed out in the future these will girdle the stem and kill the tree. They have advised me to discard this tree and put a new one in its place.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this? Could I cut the two lateral roots that are going at right angles and will the tree be okay? Will they actually cause issues down the line?

Thanks 

20231106_134657.jpg

20240423_160247.jpg

7 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I expect it has been " pot bound " for a while . You could wait and see or scrap it . Up to you .

Thanks for the help. Is cutting the right angle lateral roots an option during its dormant season? Or will this kill the tree

Id cut them but not all at once do 1 next winter then wait maybe a few seasons then the other 1.

Atm stem doesn't look girdled but as girth increases......yeah probably will be etc....

• Like 2

To be really pernickety - this is not a Japanese Maple [japonicum, dissectum, palmatum, etc.] - it's Acer rubrum 'Redpointe'.

In my experience, it's a good deal more robust than most true Japanese Maples.  So you could deal with the roots as you see fit - and it should cope okay.

However - I'd just leave it.  There's a lot of misinformation about Acers and problems with girdling.  Almost all Japanese Maples sold in retail are in pots that are too small.  As Stubby points out - they are typically very pot bound.  So this sort of root issue is very common.

None of the ones I've bought that have root systems like yours have succumbed.  They may need a little more TLC at the start - but that's all.

Instead, make sure it is well staked and well mulched up to the edge of the ring of stones you've planted it in.  That way any new fibrous roots will spread out and the tree should be fine.  It should go on to make a beautiful specimen.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Bunzena said:

To be really pernickety - this is not a Japanese Maple [japonicum, dissectum, palmatum, etc.] - it's Acer rubrum 'Redpointe'.

In my experience, it's a good deal more robust than most true Japanese Maples.  So you could deal with the roots as you see fit - and it should cope okay.

However - I'd just leave it.  There's a lot of misinformation about Acers and problems with girdling.  Almost all Japanese Maples sold in retail are in pots that are too small.  As Stubby points out - they are typically very pot bound.  So this sort of root issue is very common.

None of the ones I've bought that have root systems like yours have succumbed.  They may need a little more TLC at the start - but that's all.

Instead, make sure it is well staked and well mulched up to the edge of the ring of stones you've planted it in.  That way any new fibrous roots will spread out and the tree should be fine.  It should go on to make a beautiful specimen.

Thanks for the help and advise. Just to be clear when you are saying they may need abit more TLC at the start, what sort of things are you talking about?

Additionally if I just leave the roots in place as is you are saying it will just resolve its self?

I have mulched the tree, I took the stake out about 1 week ago after 8 months as I read studies online saying trees allowed to blow in the wind will grow stronger vs a tree supported by stakes. I think it's strong enough to not get damaged.

Thanks again

So what do I mean by TLC at the start?

• That mulching - needs to be nice and deep.   Maybe deeper than I can see on the photo.  Keep it away from the base/union - and top-up regularly.
  • Keep it well watered.  In the summer - depending on conditions - at least once a week or more often.  A thorough soak of the root-ball and the soil around and further out to encourage the roots to spread.
  • If it's in scorching hot sun - consider some shading for the first year or so.  This can be a real faff - but it's something we do if we start to see leaf-tips browning.  We erect a bit of shade fabric on some stakes to give that shade.
  • I would also keep it staked.  I know you've removed the stake - but it's a tall tree with [what looks like] a small root-ball.  It needs enough support in the short-term for those roots to bed-in.  I'd drive a short, stout stake in at 45 degrees near the base and then tie/strap it in there.  This will leave the majority of the stem to whip around in the wind - and the base nice and anchored.  The trunk will then stiffen and grow properly - and the roots will be able to do their stuff.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1