Areal rescue

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

HSE require that there is at least one aerial rescuer but what about competence?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there chap. With the best will in the world, at the end of the day and when all is said and done, tickets/training are NEVER going to prepare you for that real life situatuion of when it REALLY matters........ that time when the adrenaline kicks in, and you know that it's down to you to save that blokes life. Belive me, I KNOW!!

Had a chap cut his wrist open with an 020 about 9 years ago now. We were both climbing up two different trees, re-pollarding a load of willows along a river bank, about 5 mins walk from the truck.

I'd just got down from mine and was clearing up on the ground around the base when i heard him shout. Looked up and he was clutching his left wrist with his right hand.... claret running through his fingers and down his arm.....

It's THAT moment, that's the one that counts...... that split second decision of "Erm... what do i do now?"

Scariest situation i've ever been in! Cried like a baby as the ambulance pulled away and the adrenaline subsided.

Not something I ever wanna go through again!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was between jobs in NZ I ended up doing a few cash jobs working by myself, I would inform clients that if the unfortunate was to happen and I could not get down myself to call a local tree firm I was friendly with as I knew they practiced rescue climbs often and then call the fire brigade.

I had all my first-aid kit inside car open and ready for use, I did have one incident with a silky, slicing the side of my index finger and having the kit open was a great idea as I could reduce the bleeding a lot quicker.

I think safe thinking and safe practice is the best thing to be doing as far as tree work.

We have three phones all on different networks, me on virgin, john on o2 and gordon on orange, we also have a tick box for signal strength on out R/A

I was not aware of the 112 thing and that is a usefull detail. I am very quickly biulding a picture for a very good and comprehensive M/S And R/A combination with all your inputs.

Once again the collaboration of the arb talkers is priceless.

We have three phones all on different networks, me on virgin, john on o2 and gordon on orange, we also have a tick box for signal strength on out R/A

I was not aware of the 112 thing and that is a usefull detail. I am very quickly biulding a picture for a very good and comprehensive M/S And R/A combination with all your inputs.

Once again the collaboration of the arb talkers is priceless.

999 works aswell i think. Im sure all emergency numbers will use any network to get a signal

Dialing 999 is free and if you have no signal with your network provider it will automatically connect to the provider with the strongest signal. If you are in the middle of nowhere and can't connect to any network 911 is the international emergency number and connects straight to a satellite instead of an arial mast.