Stihl pole saw

Aaron R

Hi all

I have a stihl ht135 extendable pole saw . I got it trapped the other day, and the extension pole came out . I slid it back in and now the chain  only works when its not extended as soon as you extend the pole the chain stops . Engine still works and throttle ect just no chain response. 

Any help or ideas as i dont want to break any more .

Thankyou Aaron 

Not sure on the HL135 but on the earlier version, the drive would fail on extension if the last bearing attached to the extension pole had either failed (middle fallen apart) or the pop rivet holding it on to the extension pole had failed.

Worth popping it apart and looking at it but go careful, these things are not that easy to work on. 

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately on the HT135 parts aren't as easily replaceable as earlier models. You need to get a drive tube assembly and they start at at £106 +vat. If it's the whole drive shaft you'll be looking at £306 + Vat

• Thanks 1

Well that's a bit bollocks isn't it. I used to get the older ones in regularly as most had no idea how they worked or how to fix them.

I had 6 in at one go once and got three made up out of the parts and returned the rest as serviceable spare parts to keep the three good ones working.

A big shame that companies stop making parts serviceable which inevitably means scrapping the major part and replacing the complete unit.  

• Like 1