Passed my CS30, failed CS31

Omniata

Gutted for you, having just spent the week doing my training I know how you feel. We have been told we will have the same saws (ms260) and to take our time with cuts, etc.

Ultimately, its just two trees if you get it right. you should be able to grab fluid when you need it, as long as its safe to do so.

Being "saw fit" takes time, Im a skinny bugger so kinda understand how it feels at the end of the day.

I was told by the assessor that it was a "minimum of two, maximum of three", I dare say I wouldn't have been able to sned and delimb if I'd gone on any longer but would have liked the opportunity to do another after having a break and something to eat/drink...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get you assessed again??? or just fell a few trees and pass, Wrong for them to say we will get you passed. What if it goes wrong again you should have at least half to 3/4 of a day felling not just a few trees.

If i was an assessor ooohhh hard times

It would be an assessment but just for a couple of straight fells...

The assessor said that... I'd done everything else "competently" so just need to do a straight fell to pass the assessment...

One straight fell, plus either a fell in direction of lean or against direction of lean. One of which should be hung up, so there is always the possiblity of not hanging up the first two, so having to do a third. This assumes you get the first two right.

Its easy to forget how it was when we started out, I was lucky that the first saw I used was a heavy old dino-saw called a Pioneer. How I struggled with that. But I did my course with a Husky Rancher 50, it was light as a feather in comparison. Your ability and confidence and competence will grow, your next posting on the subject will be too proudly announce passing.:thumbup1:

i know guys who did their ground tickets 20 years ago, 1 week on a saw, they are outdoor guys and have always grafted, they have NEVER used a saw since and still go on about how hard the job was. i remember doing mine when i was 19 in 1995. it seemed tuff, but tbh that was the easiet week full time on a saw since, this job is tough, very tough. You need to get fit fast and forget all you usual tea breaks, juice breaks and general easy living you get from a normal job. To make it in this game you must be willing to work till you cant do any more, do as you are told and graft graft graft. You have to really want to do this job big time to stick at it.

29, i am surprised. I thought you were about 18 from your comments

So why did you fail ???? why didn't the assessor let you fell one more tree???

Seems like the courses are getting easier IMO, when i'd done my course i done 1 straight fell, 2 danish and 2 dog tooth cuts all snedded and brash stacked into habitat piles. Then got told to fell more trees until the others are finished and leave them for other people to learn how to sned and stack.

So why did you fail ???? why didn't the assessor let you fell one more tree???

Seems like the courses are getting easier IMO, when i'd done my course i done 1 straight fell, 2 danish and 2 dog tooth cuts all snedded and brash stacked into habitat piles. Then got told to fell more trees until the others are finished and leave them for other people to learn how to sned and stack.

I could have done more if I'd been allowed to take the breaks I "needed" as opposed to "wanted". I'd quite happily work all day but if I do that I'll end up in A&E in a coma from running my blood sugar to zero...

Diabetes isn't a "walk in the park", you have to manage it, sensibly...

i know guys who did their ground tickets 20 years ago, 1 week on a saw, they are outdoor guys and have always grafted, they have NEVER used a saw since and still go on about how hard the job was. i remember doing mine when i was 19 in 1995. it seemed tuff, but tbh that was the easiet week full time on a saw since, this job is tough, very tough. You need to get fit fast and forget all you usual tea breaks, juice breaks and general easy living you get from a normal job. To make it in this game you must be willing to work till you cant do any more, do as you are told and graft graft graft. You have to really want to do this job big time to stick at it.

29, i am surprised. I thought you were about 18 from your comments

I may have to work harder to get further, but with all due respect if I don't eat or drink lucozade when my body requires it I might as well be sat in a wheelchair with no arms and no legs...