New to purchasing a woodland

8 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

Fair enough. I'm lucky living in a quiet area of Scotland where you can go for miles without an issue. Seems such a strange idea to hire a field with a secure fence by the hour!

Me too, but Wales. I was very surprised when I got to site & had to drive through it to get to the wood.

Edited by Justme
  • Like 1

I think woodland turned out to be a great invesment  about 10-15 yrs back when they were relatively cheap, buying one atm less so  but who can predict the future?

Some one I know bought a mixed former FC,  PAW woodland   about 30 acres.

Think it was about 25k for  about 30 acres.

Probably go for near 250K now looking at the prices of similar sized woods.

Same as houses prices....

• Like 1

Sorry I havn't read the whole thread, but watch out with the likes of woodlands.co.uk and woods4sale.co.uk. Some simply parcel up existing woodlands in a grid, in reality you can get very little access rights, privacy or control of what the neighbors do. Don't settle for anything other than freehold ownership and get a lawyer to think about the pitfalls.

• Like 1

Bit late to the party. Instead of asking random strangers on the internet why don't you give a call to any of the sales agents? Ignore the obvious woodlands.co.uk type people.

As posted before by others, with 100k to invest you are not going to get rich, make any sort of living or just break even. If it were possible, hordes of people would be doing it already. It is a pipe dream for many for a reason.

If the price of the wood is cheap then something is wrong with it. For your 100k here is a gem in the SW: https://wdcdn.co/media/pdf/9cf2722a-9f7a-47b5-97d1-b25fbacf8994.pdf Can you spot the problems?

Managing a woodland is not cheap if you have no skills and knowledge. Why should it be? You need to pay someone else or or learn the trade; neither is cheap or easy. Getting any sort of change of use of the woodland is not impossible but you need very deep pockets and expert help and only works in limited circumstances.

The cost of plantable land is high as everyone else is looking for it in the UK. The planting grants will not even cover 50% of the actual costs of getting it established over the first 20-25 years.

You could trade carbon on paper but it is a wildest west out there with the regulatory body changing the rules on a whim. And you have not even heard of the squirrels.

There are millions of charities and groups out there if you want some hands-on experience, go and volunteer  first.

If you decide to go for it, please, go and speak to an expert in the field who is in the forestry property market as I have met too many people going in blind and having a rude awakening.

If you treat it as a past time, it is different discussion altogether, very rewarding but hard work 

Edited by Amarus

13 minutes ago, Amarus said:

Bit late to the party. Instead of asking random strangers on the internet why don't you give a call to any of the sales agents? Ignore the obvious woodlands.co.uk type people.

As posted before by others, with 100k to invest you are not going to get rich, make any sort of living or just break even. If it were possible, hordes of people would be doing it already. It is a pipe dream for many for a reason.

If the price of the wood is cheap then something is wrong with it. For your 100k here is a gem in the SW: https://wdcdn.co/media/pdf/9cf2722a-9f7a-47b5-97d1-b25fbacf8994.pdf Can you spot the problems?

Managing a woodland is not cheap if you have no skills and knowledge. Why should it be? You need to pay someone else or or learn the trade; neither is cheap or easy. Getting any sort of change of use of the woodland is not impossible but you need very deep pockets and expert help and only works in limited circumstances.

The cost of plantable land is high as everyone else is looking for it in the UK. The planting grants will not even cover 50% of the actual costs of getting it established over the first 20-25 years.

You could trade carbon on paper but it is a wildest west out there with the regulatory body changing the rules on a whim. And you have not even heard of the squirrels.

There are millions of charities and groups out there if you want some hands-on experience, go and volunteer  first.

If you decide to go for it, please, go and speak to an expert in the field who is in the forestry property market as I have met too many people going in blind and having a rude awakening.

If you treat it as a past time, it is different discussion altogether, very rewarding but hard work 

No vehicular access rights and the estate (presumably the former owner) has retained sporting rights. No mention of who maintains the fences or fallen trees over the fences.  I do wonder how a wood ended up being split off like this - consolation prize for the younger son?