STIHL BR800C

Dustalex1

6 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

I had a 4 stroke stihl strimmer which ran on 4 stroke. Was a rebadged Honda. Stihl discontinued it for some reason

I don't recall that. I've been dealing with various brands as a dealer for nearly 25 years now, and a Stihl main dealer for the best part of that, and I don't recall a Stihl fitted with a re-badged Honda 4-stroke unit. I have sold brush cutters that were from a manufacturer that decided to fit the excellent Honda GX25/35 4-stroke engine to their machines, but if definitely wasn't Stihl.

1 hour ago, doobin said:

Interesting, how long ago was this? I remember the Honda 4-stroke strimmers, nice enough machines to use. Wasn't aware that they ever had an agreement with Stihl.

It was a few years back when I originally acquired it, I’d say possibly 18 years ago.

mentioned it to a guy from stihl a few years back actually, he wasn’t familiar with it either 

6 minutes ago, pleasant said:

I don't recall that. I've been dealing with various brands as a dealer for nearly 25 years now, and a Stihl main dealer for the best part of that, and I don't recall a Stihl fitted with a re-badged Honda 4-stroke unit. I have sold brush cutters that were from a manufacturer that decided to fit the excellent Honda GX25/35 4-stroke engine to their machines, but if definitely wasn't Stihl.

Obviously you’ve not seen everything then.

pretty sure this was the model

WWW.DIYSPAREPARTS.COM

Select a page from the Stihl FS 25-4 Brushcutter (FS25-4) exploaded view parts diagram to find and buy spares for this...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

Obviously you’ve not seen everything then.

pretty sure this was the model

WWW.DIYSPAREPARTS.COM

Select a page from the Stihl FS 25-4 Brushcutter (FS25-4) exploaded view parts diagram to find and buy spares for this...

To be fair, I never said I had seen everything Steve I said I didn't recall it. But yes, that appears to be it. Having checked my records, it wasn't in production for very long because (surprise, surprise) Honda withdrew the engine supply to Stihl due to it affecting sales of their own 4-stroke machines

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all the replies everyone, I’ve only just seen them. (Yes, apart from the bloke that thought it was funny to call me a dick. What top banter)

I feel a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach every I remember what I did to that lovely machine don’t worry! I have a lot on and am not knowledgeable about machinery so literally just googled the machine, saw the number “4” and off I went. 

I tried it the other day, ran it full out for 15 minutes, let it idle and it was ticking over fine, didn’t cut our, I switched it off, restarted and run a bit more, etc etc for ages and I was thinking bloody hell I’ve  got away with it. 
Fast forward to today it’s back to square one, starts ok, seems to be running at full power, but as soon as I let it idle it dies and then I can’t restart again for ages. 
someone on YouTube says I’ve probably caused irreparable damage with running it with no oil. 

The only saving grace is that it cost me £350 used not £700 new. But I do need it for my job so I’m now possibly going to have to buy a new one so I’ll be down almost £1k at that point. 

I will go though the replies now and see if there is anything I can manage to do….First thing google what “compression” is.

Thanks again for taking the time and any more advice would of course be warmly received.  

Edited by Dustalex1

On 06/01/2024 at 12:51, openspaceman said:

With a bit of luck the bottom end and small end bearings will be fine but I expect the piston will have transferred a bit of aluminium to the bore and the rings will be seized in their lands. Whip the exhaust off and look, maybe post a picture of the rings through the exhaust port.

The bore will probably be okay as it is hard but will need the aluminium chemically cleaned off and then "honed" with some wet and dry paper. Probably worth getting an OEM piston if it is that young.

Thank you for this. You may as well be speaking another language with the amount of terminology I understand, but I will research what you wrote and see if I can have a go. Thanks again 

On 06/01/2024 at 12:59, GarethM said:

Could just need a carb rebuild.

If you turn it over does it feel okay, splash of fuel on the air filter should get it firing for a minute or two just to see if it sounds okay or a bag of spanners.

Yes! just in case you didn’t see my last addition - yes if I start it from cold and run it full throttle it feels absolutely fine, doesn’t struggle for power. I can use it for 10-20 minutes like that on and off full revs but as soon as it idles it dies and I can’t restart. 

On 07/01/2024 at 11:11, Stihl123 said:

How old is it? 

My br800 wouldn't restart once warm, did some research and people said its the side start recoil 

So got a standard br800 recoil, not side start and that's sorted the issue!! 

When u said wouldn't restart that's why my thinking was 

I have the stihl part number if u need 

2020 model. Seems to have had an easy life with an old boy who hardly used it, until I got my hands on it! Thanks but I can’t think the recoil would be a problem compared to me putting the wrong fuel in? 

On 07/01/2024 at 13:34, manco said:

but 4mix is still 2stroke. its something fancy but its still 2stroke.

and it looks like all the other blowers only more squarish.

and again youre all reading too much into a comment just (admittedly not very nicely/helpfully) giggling at someone who just fcuked their new toy.

id say its easier to have confused the two aspen rather than to think the new machine wasnt 2stroke.

but what do i know im just the man in the street with a garage full of machines getting told off by a bunch of old men who we assume never laughed at someone elses misfortune ever in their long long long lives?

Sounds like you need a hobby to me? Instead of spending your time on here honing your edgy comedian act of being a prat and then when someone calls you out as such going “ohhh can’t say anything anymore snowflakes etc” 

Edited by Dustalex1
  • Like 1

The lack of idle could be a number of things. When an engine warms up, typically the compression falls, this may be what is stopping the engine running correctly, especially with what you have done to it.

I have done a fair number of BR600s and KM95/100/130 which are all 4 stroke and most have needed the tappets adjusted as most don't seem to do them. Generally, the engine feels much harder to pull over if they need adjusting and may sort your issues.

Other heat issues - if the coil to flywheel gap is too large, when the coil gets warm, it can stop sparking so worth checking this.

The carb may just need a bit of adjustment or the idle speeding up so it is less likely to stall.

Lastly, the issue may just be a bit of dirt in the carb gauze strainer or a perforated pump diaphragm...I know most of this will probably be outside of your skill set but it is what it is and if your machine was in front of me...I would be checking these things before pulling the cylinder off to check the internals if the above fails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1