Uniforest LS 80E logsplitter (Lumag HOS8-230)

Mike Dempsey

Got this Uniforest vertical logsplitter about 3 years ago at start of lockdown. It never had much power in it and it was back at the Scottish reps place 3 times to be sorted. He had an agricultural engineers place nearby look at it and sort it. Im sure it was definitely a Friday build. However I persevered with it and its only split about 4 cube a year so hardly overworked.

A couple of days ago it started to play up again. The anvil was very slow to come down and would only touch the timber before it stopped. Now it only comes down about 8 inches before grinding to a halt and doesnt even touch the timber. 

Normally I can take my hand of either of the levers and the anvil does not go up. Now when I hold down the rhs handle the anvil stays put but when I hold down the lhs handle the anvil rises. 

There is a vertical lever which can be used for limiting the amount of rise the anvil has to save time. Its connected to a switch type of mechanism at the bottom. If I press down on this switch with my foot the the anvil operates at normal speed and will split wood ok without me holding both or one of the levers!

The instructions for the hydraulic oil are a bit weird - see attached photo. Is there air in the hydraulic fluid, does it matter. I dont know and I am relying on more knowledgeable people on here for advice.

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_20231229_213611855.jpg

IMG_20231229_212258795.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There will be no air in the oil. The valve should be open at all times and only closed when unit is tipped up to stop leaks. As the ram lowers the oil is drawn from the tank. If air cannot enter the tank a vacuum will occur possibly causing damage. 
Hope this helps

Thanks guys for your replies. I will order up some hydraulic oil and swap it out. I got a big agricultural engineering workshops near me so that is my last shot remedy.

I'm just pissed off that it's not been very good from day one and has already been in workshops 3 times to sort this problem. It works for a few months and then is crap again. It was sold by Riko originally but I see they don't sell this brand anymore.