Log Arch Users

AndyO

Hi folks, looking for peoples experiences of using either TCF or Logrite log arches, particularly the big ones.

I’m thinking one for behind an Alpine tractor or Defender 90 would be handy for extracting large stems for milling. 
I see there was some chat previously about them but not much recently.

Image from when I borrowed a Logrite jnr  arch to help skid some Ash and keep it clean. Despite being way overloaded it made life a lot easier!

Cheers

IMG_2794.thumb.jpeg.4d5fd19ac64b2d2488e63cfa8d05b4ec.jpeg

Edited by AndyO
Clarification

Looks a monster alpine, what is it?

I use a skidding grapple behind my alpine, it's handy to be able to transfer a lot of the log's weight to the back wheels. If it's milling lengths, they will be short enough that you only drag 'just the tip' (ooeer missus!) along the ground. Works for me. I've got some beech I left spalting to mill later today that I extracted like this.

I've not used a logging arch but I'd imagine it take a bit of a while to rig it all up? Probably ace for longer extraction routes or timebr lengths though.

Edited by doobin

It’s a Goldoni euro 45 so not huge. 

I do like the idea of a skidding grapple but I’m thinking with large logs it just won’t have the capacity to lift one end off the deck which is part of the problem I have with the winch although it’s fairly heavy to begin with before adding a log. If it does lift one end up, the front end is in the air and being articulated steering I don’t have independent brakes so extraction is tricky.

I reckon a big arch would take most if not all the weight of a big log? Agreed about faff setting it up but for decent logs it’s worth it?

Love a bit of spalted Beech 👌

2 hours ago, AndyO said:

It’s a Goldoni euro 45 so not huge. 

I do like the idea of a skidding grapple but I’m thinking with large logs it just won’t have the capacity to lift one end off the deck which is part of the problem I have with the winch although it’s fairly heavy to begin with before adding a log. If it does lift one end up, the front end is in the air and being articulated steering I don’t have independent brakes so extraction is tricky.

I reckon a big arch would take most if not all the weight of a big log? Agreed about faff setting it up but for decent logs it’s worth it?

Love a bit of spalted Beech 👌

My missus is happy cause I’ve used a few scraps to ‘poshen up’ our kitchen cabinets! 

With the grapple you wouldn’t have the weight of the winch, so much work well? Mine on a 38hp AC is a good fit. Riko. 

IMG_3454.jpeg

CAA457EF-7CF7-4577-B287-EE48C7A729C4.jpeg

9E5510FE-F1F4-4FFC-9EED-6F656EE7DD8B.jpeg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AndyO said:

Cheers for the pics. The shelves look great 👍 

Do you have a hydraulic top link on your grab? 

Yes, I find a hydro top link is invaluable on almost every implement. 

Just look at the finish on these contours- you just set it to float and it follows beautifully. 

IMG_0202.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_2655.thumb.jpeg.d595697a52c8383181094f9b22035d8d.jpegIMG_2353.thumb.jpeg.7d0400c3a0cdcc19b596a47a4247c39c.jpeg

I’ve used this a bit,including on back roads (shhhh). Not in the woods yet till we get our nimbler tractor. The winch is a bit feeble. I have fantasies about using a tractor winch to pull big logs up close and then swapping out lines and using it to lift them up. A very good idea to strap the sticks in! 

• Like 3