Echo cs 2511tes vs Stihl ms150tc

Mparko93

Hi there!

Current owner of a Stihl ms151tc, I've done a port job on the muffler and had some timing done to the saw and running it with 12" bar 1/4 pitch. I was impressed with the gains made from the modifications but after using it last weekend on a pretty solid mango height reduction I just was really impressed with the power. It still seems like it could do with more timing and some porting on the cylinder but I just still don't know if it's going to compare with what I have seen guys have been able to get out of the Echo cs2511 tes.

I'm in Australia so dealing with hardwoods pretty often, this saw in my kitty would be used for larger pruning jobs so I want something with some decent power when aloft.
So my question is, whose had any luck with the Echo and how have they weighed it up against the Stihl counterpart?
Is the Echo and good quality saw in the long run? Are they durable?
Ideally I'd want it to be running a 14" 1/4 pitch bar and chain set up and would probably so the same type of mods to the echo.
The fact that the echo is substantially lighter and seems to be far more powerful should I make the switch?
Or should I stay with my Stihl as I've always considered them to be a more durable saw and was why I made the initial purchase over the Echo.

Anyway, hope to get some feedback!
Thanks Legends!

I had a Stihl MS150T several years ago. I was perfectly happy with it, but eventually sold it. Can't remember why, there was nothing wrong with it. For the last six years I have had a couple of Echo 2511tes's and i love them. Recently changed over to Panther 1/4 chain and bar, still on on the 10 inch bar though, and it has improved the performance a lot. I have not carried out any other mods. In summary, I love the Echo.

I don't think the Echo are as reliable, but for the amount of work it will do and what they cost people put up with that and replace when needed. It's not a 660, don't plan on keeping a saw like that forever.

The other serious option is the Echo2500T , but if you're in bigger trees and going through several tanks a day with your 151 then I think you will find battery life an issue.

I have the same 2511 since 2017-18. It's had a couple of recoils but that's partly because i sometimes overdo it on the pull. Needed a clutch assy a year or two back but its never given me any trouble starting or cutting out as some people have experienced. To be honest it isn't used daily but it is used weekly and lives in the jeep, so exposed to a bit of dirt and moisture.

Mines still standard because I'm boring so I can't speak on how they take mods and I've never had a 150 so can only compare to my own saws.192(shit saw) and a 200t which I rarely use at all now, going from the 2511 to either the echo 501 (solid saw. Reliable but under powered) husky 550 (great when it runs right but often gives trouble) or stihl 261 (was my go to of the three but hasn't been behaving lately)

In short, I would recommend a 2511 in small wood but if you're regularly cutting above 10 or 12 inches go bigger.