Standing dead wood

David Humphries

I've become a little obsessed with creating, managing, photographing & observing naturally developed ones.

Partly to help redress the balance where I work in restoring/promoting what is a valuable habitat niche, back toward a "healthy" ecosystem.

Apart from passing anecdotal photographic records, one thing, as yet, I've failed to instigate, is a controlled survey of what is actually utilising this resource, in terms of lichen, fungi, invertebrates, birds & mammals.

This morning was a case in point, where we had a spare half hour, whilst clearing up a recent mono-creation.

We re-reduced a previous 5 year old Ash monolith, as it was now too high/decayed to leave in falling distance to the path/target.

In taking a closer look at the decayed timber, this is what greeted me......

Dorcus parallelipipedus - Lesser Stag Beetle larvae

& Vespa crabo vexator - Hornet

& interesting slices showing psuedosclaratial plates of different competing fungi.

DSC07901.jpg.22911024c66777a5c250ba6bcb4bd5af.jpg

DSC07936.jpg.c626dead223b4373da6f1f41dc0e66b9.jpg

DSC07922.jpg.a0030f237b44e7dc5a34c9adf5320239.jpg

DSC07918.jpg.8936883b8bbd746407fcfb5802d06eef.jpg

DSC07914.jpg.64ee105fe821487aba79e32e92acb61f.jpg

DSC07906.jpg.511d269d5c865dc30816abf23de10968.jpg

DSC07895.jpg.8720e2d839b0127b7e2e3350a30acab1.jpg

DSC07941.jpg.fef9feddae859135fa6c02500a9a0f00.jpg

That larvae is a mean looking thing! Found something similar last year felling ash, it seemed properly upset and was rather aggressive!

Was this on a dead standing Tree, at the base or up at height on the trunk?

I'm really interested in what you're doing, I'd like to try and do similar things with an area of woodland, so any advice you may have would be much appreciated. Interesting post, thanks.

Pm sent

Hope to get do do some more of this type of wrk & time to document it in some way. Look fwd to more of your posts on this subject.

Dan, if you haven't already you should get either Helen or Jez to let you look at the data sets for fungi & inverterbrates. Burnham has around 60+ red data list species, a lot of these are associated with decaying wood.

Nice one David i had an Ash tree last year with marching stags:thumbup1:

Probably asked you this before David, (brains a bit like the galleries of stag larvae in rotting wood :001_tongue:) but do you or anyone carry out survey work around the ecology of your park?

Cheers

David

Edited by Monkey-D