Impact Protection Gloves?

Tree Man Tom

Doing a big tree planting job at the moment, the ground is full of crushed builders rubble and the tree pits are a nightmare to dig, each hole is about 2ft across and 2ft deep.

After 2 days of digging the palm of my hands and my wrists were in agony, i put it down the the impact that goes through my hand when im digging the spade/ironbar into the ground and hitting rubble. Was struggling to hold my dinner plate the pain was that bad :thumbdown:

So basically are there any gloves out there that offer any kind of impact protection, or do you guys think im "barking up the wrong tree" in thinking its the impact causing the pain in my hands?

I get this. My timberland anti vibe gloves help :thumbup1: but if you can't get some any big thick gloves might help?

Cheers mate, should have said i have been wearing gloves. But there thinish ones to help with grip, like some climbers wear.

I do have a pair of husky chainsaw gloves so might give them ago :thumbup1:

It is that causing the pain, I once had to dig out a big celler by hand and had the same thing happen. I didn't try gloves but maybe those gel ones would help. I ended up getting a long handled pointed shovel, didn't hit half as much stuff with that. Better for your back too cos you don't have to bend so far and you can really lever with them. At the time it was my pride and joy, haha

Have you tried using a rabbiting spade? Long straight steel handle so theres no impact going through your hands. We used them when we would plant thousands of trees in the city, bricks, flints, old roots, cable tv, Bt broadband lines no problem! they do insulated versions to, to help you not get fried. Stanton hope do the non insulated one for £43.85

Have you tried using a rabbiting spade? Long straight steel handle so theres no impact going through your hands. We used them when we would plant thousands of trees in the city, bricks, flints, old roots, cable tv, Bt broadband lines no problem! they do insulated versions to, to help you not get fried. Stanton hope do the non insulated one for £43.85

Yh we got one of these mate, they are good for digging in crap ground.

I guess its more of a repetative strain injury, as were also knocking in support posts and that aswell, so switching between shuvel, spades, iron bars, rabbiting spade, sledge hammer etc...