Reccession aftermath ???????

Ross Smith

how is the industry doing at the moment in the uk chaps :confused1:

hey Ross, how ya doin?

Pretty slow here in Kent mate. Think I used to get about 80% of the work I looked at. I would say that is down to about 40%. Many firms are undercutting one another and working for buttons. But not I, I can sit at home and earn nothing.

I've have a little sideline when I'm quiet (need to speak to Steve before I can put it on here). Might even do it full time when my insurance runs out in August.

Dead at the mo mate, but that may have more to do with the time of year and the winter we have had. Still got a few jobs on hold because of waterlogged lawns.

Waiting for the sun to come out then an explosion of work!

Edited by Monkey-D
Mark you're a very naughtie boy and need to go stand in the corner. Asterisks, are not the prefered language of choice!

On the planning/BS5837 side I've never been busier. I'm dealing with an avalanche of planning applications, mostly for multi-unit residential schemes, commercial schemes and infrastructure schemes (roads, pipelines, schools) which have been pushed forward in the public funding budget.

I know that I'm not the only consultant experiencing this, so don't worry guys, it's just a matter of time before this new push of development work starts to generate contracting work. There's also the point that the whole local authority landscape is changing. Lots of local authorities are looking to outsource landscape/tree work in the coming age of austerity, so there may be work opportunities there, too.

I'd say that by the end of the summer things should start to filter down, but it's still going to be a competitive price environment