Block or small rig pulley?

egghead29

I do most of my rigging from a stein X ring and it's great.

I've got some jobs coming up where it will be useful to be able to lift some small pieces over some lines so I decided to invest in a pulley.

I got excited and ordered a huge icr 255. But now it's on the way I'm wondering if I'm wasting my money or if it's a good futureproof investment.

Do I just return the big block (£200) and get a wee pinto rig (£50)?

I've not got a winch so it's not likely that I'll be lifting big weights anytime soon. And I'm happy with the xring for negative rigging etc. 

Do folks find that the big blocks just stay in their bags because they are so big and they're more likely to use a wee pulley.

Any thoughts much appreciated 

Edited by egghead29

• egghead29 changed the title to Block or small rig pulley?

How big are the bits you're lifting? And how are you lifting them? If the groundie is lifting them by hand then a pinto rig is likely to be fine. You could also look at the isc rigging wrench or harken snatchet, they have internal ratchets that allow you to lift efficiently one way and then give you a bit of friction to lower in the other. Either one of those would give you a bit of futureproofing, but you'll always find a use for a pinto rig in the future too.

I'd buy the kit you need for the job at hand. You'll end up using it again. Buy a big block as and when you need it.

Besides, a two pulley setup is really effective for moving the rigging point away from the stem - nice big block high and central, and then pinto rig or RP066 positioned out and lower so that it gets a force vector straight down the branch.

So, keep the block and also order the pinto rig. Maybe a sling or two and a few steel biners while you're there. Always come in handy.

• Like 3

😂 Mick. Sounds like your house is full of pulleys and shoes. 

Thanks for the advice. It arrived today and I'm probably just going to keep it and see what I end up using it for. I got a good price on it.

And probably I'll get a wee pinto at some point. Although if it wasn't already here I think I would have stuck with krummholz advice and just waited until I actually needed one.

Thanks for the input.

• Like 1