Also, this tree too?!

sandspider

Question

I found another one! This one's an alder, but with heavy ivy load. It's got a decent canopy so I thought it was healthy itself - but I went over to cut the ivy at it's base and discovered some rot. (See pics). The rot only seems to be on about 1/3 of the trunk at DBH, and only seems to be the bark - the wood underneath is solid. So I hope it's not a big problem? Or if the cambium is dead will the tree stop passing nutrients / water to / from the leaves and roots? (Probably not as long as some of the bark is still healthy?)

Thanks.

IMG_20230616_150846_copy_1500x2000.thumb.jpg.277838d175fd53bcfd7649649aa498b1.jpg

IMG_20230616_151425_copy_1500x2000.thumb.jpg.bf6f897b5b610daad3d0fcffd2a7f4d7.jpg

6 answers to this question

2 hours ago, sandspider said:

The rot only seems to be on about 1/3 of the trunk at DBH, and only seems to be the bark - the wood underneath is solid. So

1/3 is a lot. The wood may be solid but is likely to decay and hollow though, you should ideally get reaction growth around the hole to compensate.

2 hours ago, sandspider said:

Or if the cambium is dead will the tree stop passing nutrients / water to / from the leaves and roots?

The worry is that it stops food getting to the roots on that side, you then lose support on that side as they die.

Of course it all depends where it is but if there are targets this seems like a tree you should get someone to come and look at in person.

Thanks Dan, appreciate the thoughts. That hole I made myself today, just by pulling the bark off. So it may recover in time! Didn't look like it though, to be honest.

It may be more like 1/4 of the trunk affected, and only for about a foot or two vertically. I'll investigate further tomorrow. There's a phone line under the tree, and also it could probably reach the garage...

Right, I've investigated further, and the patch of really rotten bark is only about 20cm by 30cm. Wood under the bark is solid, as is most of the bark. Given the tree is probably 60cm across and has good healthy leaves still I reckon it'll be ok until at least next year? I've hopefully cut through the ivy now so that should die off in due course. I'll keep an eye on the rest of the trunk.