westwood s1300

orbracs

Hi Everyone. I have a s1300 1998 which is great. Put brand new hydrostatic k46 rear axle on just over a year. Went to use today and realise it has a hairline crack in casting and has been slowly losing oil. Problem I have is I have stripped the rear axle to weld the casting but not sure on orientation of the cheese shape wedge that dictates what pedal is forward and reverse. Can anyone help? I think the widest section was facing me when I opened it up.

• Like 1

There's a good video set of a hydrostatic transaxle rebuild on you tube that should help you. Just skip to the relevant part you need. Its a four part set. Sorry but i have never sold tractors or ride ons just walk behind mowers.

Selling new tractirs and ride ons are a pain in the rrrrssss given the time you spend putting it together, pdi ing it, then delivering it, and then half an hour or more customer hand over...all for a couple of hundred quid GROSS profit...labour, fuel, oil, transportation and labour has to come out of that

Edited by pleasant

On 10/04/2023 at 19:15, orbracs said:

Hi Everyone. I have a s1300 1998 which is great. Put brand new hydrostatic k46 rear axle on just over a year. Went to use today and realise it has a hairline crack in casting and has been slowly losing oil. Problem I have is I have stripped the rear axle to weld the casting but not sure on orientation of the cheese shape wedge that dictates what pedal is forward and reverse. Can anyone help? I think the widest section was facing me when I opened it up.

You can use a battery drill chucked onto the input shaft to replicate drive (you should do this anyway to prime pump/check oil levels). Then mess about with the levers till it makes sense in your head!

These transaxles need a very specific grade of expensive oil as per TuffTorque's original spec. Most failures are due to the oil becoming overheated when grass blocks the cooling fan.

Mobil 1 5w50 fully synthetic is what I have on the shelf marked up as for that transaxle- available from your local motor factors.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1