New Tree Climber's APP

Santoro

I've been asked to consult for a big Apps Company who's considering making an App designed specifically for Tree Climbers and Arborists. So I ask you, what would you find useful to have in an App? Clients list, Uploading photos and creating spreadsheets of your jobs, Tree climbing Knots, calendar, climbing techniques, chainsaw cuts, pruning tips...? What features would you find indispensable? I appreciate a lot any feedback!

Edited by Santoro
My question was misunderstood

1 hour ago, Santoro said:

That will be for them to decide. What I really would appreciate is feedback concerning features that one would like to have if such an App existed.

You asked for feedback and clearly asked if we think the market is big enough. I’ve been working in the digital arborist space for over 15 years now, have launched several web apps during that time as well as a couple of iOS/android apps. I think I have a reasonable feel for the market. If they are looking for a labour of love then go for it. If they are looking for a stand along business opportunity they’ll probably starve to death. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

You asked for feedback and clearly asked if we think the market is big enough. I’ve been working in the digital arborist space for over 15 years now, have launched several web apps during that time as well as a couple of iOS/android apps. I think I have a reasonable feel for the market. If they are looking for a labour of love then go for it. If they are looking for a stand along business opportunity they’ll probably starve to death. 

You are perfectly right. I have edited my post. I'm really only interested to know what features would people find useful.

I know someone in Italy who started a website in 2001, when most people interested in tree climbing were not connected to the internet and smartphones didn't exist yet. So I do respect your experience, but allow me to consider that things may change. Anyway, I do thank you for your feedback.

Edited by Santoro

I agree, unlikely to pull out an app to see what chainsaw cut to use.

Looks to me like you need to decide what size firm you are trying to cater for, one man band or bigger firm with multiple teams, vehicles, chippers etc. Feels like if you make it too capable then will just be too complicated to use for smaller guy.

Dealing with job enquiries, scheduling and completing seems the important task to me. Then manage all the job paperwork, risk assessment, permission, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For what it's worth I've been doing tech and software web dev for 20 years and I'm retraining in arb and forestry.   Im very experienced in one (app and software) and totally green behind the ears in the other (arb and forestry)

If there's scope for an app I can normally sniff it out, I cannot see one yet. Doesn't meant it doesn't exist.

I'm sure theres a gap somewhere for something, but the reality of it is that any app would be so niche that it'd not be a market to pay the multiple thousands to have it built.  The only thing I've spotted so far (that I'll probably smash out myself with react native) is an app to assist in plotting woodland, capturing data on individual trees (photos, geodata etc) and doing height stuff to avoid having to have something else to lose (eg clinometer).

Even if there was something off the shelf that did all of that (and there probably is) it'd have to work with no signal, not murder a battery and then theres the issue of data, how it is stored, data protection, information security, uptime, bug fixes, marketing, support. Never ending list. Big app corp may be able to handle all that but it's a real consideration.

So I'd love to give you a bunch of features that would be "game changing" but I suspect it'll be more a case of a problem looking for a solution. This could be because I have less than a year in this new trade of mine or because the trade existed for years before apps came along and it manages just fine - notwithstanding a few places where technology can take the chore out of the work (eg drone missions for woodland stuff)

I hope you find success.

Cheers.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Jamie C said:

an app to assist in plotting woodland, capturing data on individual trees (photos, geodata etc)

Do you know "Arb Pro"? It does all that. So I'm really not trying to reinvent the wheel. But I do think that the existing Apps are not that much user friendly, cater only to big companies needs, are only in English and, most of all, are way out of what an individual climber and small company would be willing to pay. I'm thinking of something in those lines, with a few other features, multilingual, and that costs 4 or 5 pounds a month. Would love to know what you think about it.