MS181c Bolted Sprocket Cover

Ramsay

Hello all,

I have acquired an MS181c and it wasn't in great condition, but have got it running well, however, I cannot get the bar to clamp properly.  It has a quick tensioner and so the sprocket cover is hand tightened with the wing nut, but there is always a slight bit of movement up and down.

I have looked around and see that I can very easily convert it to a bolted sprocket cover and fit a chain tensioner, but the only sprocket cover I can see for the ms181 is just a single bolt, which I don't think will clamp the bar well enough.  My other saws are all two bolt covers and it looks easy to fit a second stud to the ms181 so it could take a two bolt cover, but I don't know what cover will then fit.

Any assistance or thoughts on whether there is a two bolt cover that will fit or whether a single bolt cover will hold the bar securely enough would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ramsayimage.jpeg.270198ce0d1cc7f1d08539726d718411.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Ramsay

Dont bother messing around with adding another bolt....you're not going to improve anything and you are going to a lot of effort for no return. Yes, it is easy to convert from tooless, although there should be no upward movement of the bar in either set up. Are you ensuring the bar tip is elevated up as far as it can be before tightening the cover 'wing nut'

• Like 2

All,

Thanks for the replies.

I have ensured that the bar is fully up before tightening and then tightened as much as I dare (without breaking the plastic wing nut), but it still moves slightly. 

I did mean to say that I have tried a brand new bar and it made no difference.

By the sound of the comments a single nut cover and kit to convert the tensioner should work fine, so I'll order the parts and let you know how I get on.

Have you checked the current stud you have on it for wear and rigidity in the plastic body? The fact it has the tooless cover fitted may not be your issue....particularly as you have eliminated the bar possibility by swapping with new. The bar cover only clamps the bar in place....yes, its a much firmer 'grip' on the bar if its the proper nut system, but even so, you should still be able to tighten it sufficiently with the tooless system without you being able to move the bar up and down. These plastic body stihl have a habit of the threads stripping in the body.....check that the stud is sound before shelling out.

41 minutes ago, pleasant said:

Have you checked the current stud you have on it for wear and rigidity in the plastic body? The fact it has the tooless cover fitted may not be your issue....particularly as you have eliminated the bar possibility by swapping with new. The bar cover only clamps the bar in place....yes, its a much firmer 'grip' on the bar if its the proper nut system, but even so, you should still be able to tighten it sufficiently with the tooless system without you being able to move the bar up and down. These plastic body stihl have a habit of the threads stripping in the body.....check that the stud is sound before shelling out.

Thanks, will check it our later and see if it is the stud, although I did tighten it and didn't notice any issues.

I agree with Ramsey's experience, toolless tensioner is simply inadequate, I've dug into it in the past to look for a solution .... failed.

The standard single bolt / nut is just fine though.

Good news is you can sell the secondhand toolless tensioner parts on ebay  😃

• Like 1