Foxes, Badgers, Rats and Rabbits

Billhook

Seems as good a thread as any to repeat the polite request to source as much of your food as you can from organic or regenerative sources as you can afford; stop using chemical pesticides, herbicides, and fertilisers; try to cut out 95% of the meat and 50% of the dairy from your diet; do whatever you can to eliminate unnecessary plastic use from your daily routines; stop flying and buying airfreight products from the other side of the planet; put a jumper on instead of turning on the central heating; and generally just try and live like a f*cking hermit in a cave until just one of the many existential crises we are currently living through inevitably puts an end to our destructive civilisation, one way or another.

Long term its all pointless at this stage, but let's all try our hardest to row away from the waterfall instead of towards it, eh?

Thanks. 

• Like 2

Would you like my foxes? South London urban variety.  I've a pair that are at home in my garden most days. They sunbathe mostly which u stunt mind. They sh*t everywhere too which I do mind. Have had a third fox, I guess a cub from last year, with them a few times.  Unfortunately the foxes thrive round here.  Probably linked to that my neighbours pet rabbits and those at my kids school and the school chickens did not thrive.

Overun with the fkrs, same with badgers.

Not many rabbits but mixy tends to have a cyclical ten years before the numbers rise.

Everything else is not in short supply either, low input farming is not Peds utopian BS vegan world.

If you want a world eating 95% less meat and 50% less dairy, I hate to say it but that's would make it worse than the hunger games.

Livestock are the only animals able to turn grass into usable food, grass grows, dies and rots if you don't use it.

So make use of it without fertilizer and not squander it on the alter of BS environmental guff.

I would argue eat more local stuff, especially meat.

• Like 1

I have no lack of flying bugs, which all get hoovered up by the swarms of migratory birds including housemartin, swallows, swift etc.

The only pesticides/herbicides around here are used in gardens and by the council.

Personally I would talk to your parents and not use post DDT years as an example of how the world looks.

DDT caused atleast a 10-15 year collapse of bird populations, now 50ish years later it's almost finished correcting total numbers.

If in your youth lots of midges not being eaten=an imbalance somewhere, does it not ?.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, GarethM said:

I have no lack of flying bugs, which all get hoovered up by the swarms of migratory birds including housemartin, swallows, swift etc.

Bully for you friendo, that isn't the global situation, and part of the problem is people like yourself who can't see further than the end of their own nose. 

I'm ducking out at this stage to carry on with my day, but I'll just quickly repeat the tired old fact that we are currently in the midsts of the most comprehensive mass-extinction event the planet has ever seen, and Mother Nature, or Gaia, or God or Jehova or whatever you want to call her, doesn't care if humans are carried along for the ride, we have to get ourselves out of this mess, we know exactly what will give us the best chance of survival, and for some strange reason, there are millions of people out there who are against the idea.

• Like 4