Wood Store

Steven P

Rather than worrying about the sides, just give the roof a decent overhang beyond the stack. All the better if you can orientate the biggest overhang toward the prevailing wet weather - not always possible I do appreciate.

A bit of rain getting on the side of the stack wont be an issue, but you will maximise the airflow through the stack which is the critical bit for seasoning in my experience

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, teepeeat said:

Rather than worrying about the sides, just give the roof a decent overhang beyond the stack. All the better if you can orientate the biggest overhang toward the prevailing wet weather - not always possible I do appreciate.

A bit of rain getting on the side of the stack wont be an issue, but you will maximise the airflow through the stack which is the critical bit for seasoning in my experience

It's gong to get a solid roof, needs to be hinged 'backwards' so I can open it from my side of the wall to fill it up for her.

I think I have something suitable for the edges hanging about, but wondered if it was going to be worth getting it

Based up in Glasgow... all rain protection is good

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Steven P said:

It's gong to get a solid roof, needs to be hinged 'backwards' so I can open it from my side of the wall to fill it up for her.

I think I have something suitable for the edges hanging about, but wondered if it was going to be worth getting it

Based up in Glasgow... all rain protection is good

haha, Scotland can be a bit dreich on the weather front at times.

If you have something to hand already that has no use, then entirely up to you whether you put something down the sides - don't personally think it is necessary with an overhanging roof, but clearly will help if the roof does not overhang, but at a cost to air circulation.

Rain water will dry off very quickly and it tends to only get as far as the outer layer of wood particularly if the outer layer is stacked to help shed the rain - look at the 'holzhausen' on the continent which traditionally had no roof at all, but was stacked with a view to shedding water.

The point I was trying to make is that airflow is much more important for seasoning the wood and an overhanging roof with open sides is a better compromise than enclosing the sides against rain. Now that I have done the egg sucking lesson I will get me coat ...... 🙂

(dont get me started on the lack of overhangs on house roofs in this country 🙂 )

• Like 3

2 hours ago, teepeeat said:

Now that I have done the egg sucking lesson I will get me coat ...... 🙂

(dont get me started on the lack of overhangs on house roofs in this country 🙂 )

Nothing wrong with that, we are all guilty as each other.

Yup got some netting in the wood, but it needs collecting and bringing back to her house (could also be used as a bit of a wind break where I want The Boys to have their 'camp fires') - if it was a no go then I'd save myself a job.

Overhang on roofs? is that a thing then?

2 hours ago, Steven P said:

Nothing wrong with that, we are all guilty as each other.

Yup got some netting in the wood, but it needs collecting and bringing back to her house (could also be used as a bit of a wind break where I want The Boys to have their 'camp fires') - if it was a no go then I'd save myself a job.

Overhang on roofs? is that a thing then?

Overhangs should be a thing, but aren't in this country.

Keeps water away from the walls, particularly the top where a lot of damp can start from.

Shades the windows in summer, my place would bake in the summer just from solar gain as it is properly insulated to keep it warm in winter and cool in summer.

Would also allow for easy upgrading of buildings with external insulation, without having to redo the roof.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teepeeat said:

Overhangs should be a thing, but aren't in this country.

Keeps water away from the walls, particularly the top where a lot of damp can start from.

Shades the windows in summer, my place would bake in the summer just from solar gain as it is properly insulated to keep it warm in winter and cool in summer.

Would also allow for easy upgrading of buildings with external insulation, without having to redo the roof.

+1 for overhanging roofs👍