Tesco - fruit trees 2 for £12

spudulike

Wandered in to Tescos and the wife pointed out that Tescos had an offer on fruit trees so had a conference Pear and a Stella Cherry tree for £12. They also had apples and Victoria Plum in the branch we visited.

The roots were in reasonable shape - bit of soil in cling film and bagged so have potted them on and hope we get fruit off them in a year or so. The trees are 4-5' tall so seem a bit of a bargain to me.

• Like 6

I got a cherry, plum, and apricot, all patio sized, from Lidl about three years ago. The apricot died, and so did its replacement, but the cherry went from five fruits to fifty to feck knows, very reliable. The plum did the same, five-ish fruits in year one, enough to make the tree worthwhile in year two, and it got bitten by a late frost this year, with one wrinkly little prune surviving.

Definitely worth the money, all in all. 

Edited by peds

I got mine in pots with compost, a good dousing straight away and in to the greenhouse. Will stay that way until well rooted and I have worked out where I want them.

Seem good value if not looking for a very specific root stock for a very specific situation.

Good for bees, birds and a nice crumble....custard...thanks!!

• Like 1

I've had the fruit trees from poundstretcher for a similar price (probably come from same nursery as tesco etc!), all but one have survived.

They've not got them in yet this year, I'm keeping an eye out

Plums are fine but the rest probably aren't the most suitable varieties and rootstocks for the north of Scotland, particularly out of town!

Edited by scbk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...