Flue without chimney stack.

Guest Gimlet

Guest Gimlet

I've seen a house I could be interested in buying. It's 19th century end terrace and has blocked up fireplaces on the party wall. Only the stack, which I must assume would have been shared with the neighbour, appears to have been dismantled to below roof level and capped off. 

If I bought it  I would want to reinstate the fireplace in the living room and install a wood burner. I don't want to rebuild the entire stack unless the neighbour also wants this and will go halves on the cost. As there are upstairs fireplaces because of the age of the building, it's highly likely the flues are corbelled and have angles in them, rather than being vertical drops. Therefore, if the neighbour doesn't want in on a stack rebuild, could I run an insulated flexi-liner up through my flue to where the stack terminates in the roof space and continue through the roof with twin wall vitreous in fire-proof boxing?

I'm confident the lofts have full firewalls in them because I've looked at similar properties in this particular street and the party walls are solid stone and are 18" thick all the way up to the slates.

Edited by Gimlet

not sure if this is snooping too much, sometimes you can find old photos for when a house was last sold....check out the potential neighbour if you can - might be that with the chimney removed, they have taken out their fireplaces completely? 

Pretty sure you could put a liner up and do it that way though, 1 liner for each for you want to reinstate

Guest Gimlet

If I put a liner up my flue I wouldn't need the party wall act. I would for the stack rebuild. Though if I used it to force the neighbour's hand that wouldn't make for good relations. 

I was wondering really whether the liner solution with a vitreous flue through the roof would meet HETAS regs.

Edited by Gimlet

9 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

If I put a liner up my flue I wouldn't need the party wall act. I would for the stack rebuild. Though if I used it to force the neighbour's hand that wouldn't make for good relations. 

I was wondering really whether the liner solution with a vitreous flue through the roof would meet HETAS regs.

I don't know but if you move the chimney away from the ridge why not stay double skin stainless?

Poujolat do a range of prefabricated false chimneys but I bet they are expensive.

Edited by openspaceman
typos

1 hour ago, Gimlet said:

Depending on the layout of the chimney you might have to disturb his roof to flash the chimney correctly

Guest Gimlet
1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

I don't know but if you move the chimney away from the ridge why not stay double skin stainless?

Poujolat do a range of prefabricated false chimneys but I bet they are expensive.

Stainless wold do fine. Should be easy enough to avoid the ridge. You've usually got quite a lot of leeway. 

Guest Gimlet
33 minutes ago, dumper said:

Depending on the layout of the chimney you might have to disturb his roof to flash the chimney correctly

That wouldn't be a problem. The boundary line will be centre of the party wall and if that's 18" thick there should be plenty of clearance. 

6 hours ago, Gimlet said:

That wouldn't be a problem. The boundary line will be centre of the party wall and if that's 18" thick there should be plenty of clearance. 

Say your flue is 6inches allow 2 inches of taper = 8 inches plus flashing 10 to 12 inches, =18 to 20 inches, slates are laid to cover three times you will be needing to disturb some of next doors slates, if roof leaks your location will be poo creek 

• Haha 1