Stihl MS200t alternatives

Doug Blease

As a self confessed Stihl fan (I dont own any other brand) I am following the comments on quality, design and price increase with interest.

I have alway had great customer service form Stihl dealers and from the company itself on occassion and obvious reliability of the product.

Last year I purchased a 260 to replace a small Jonsered I had as a medium sized climbing saw. I also purchased an 660.

This year I would like to replace my top handled 020. I bought this saw in 2000 and it still fires up and has plenty of go left in it. I have really abused this saw over the last ten years, its had a couple of holidays while I was employed, but other than that has worked hard and earnt the money for me.

It seems obvious to replace this saw like for like. But with the negative press recently, I have got to ask, what is there out there on the horizon that will rival the longevity and service I have had from the Stihl top handled professional saw?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When our 020 packed up at work we bought and tried the equivalent, makita, echo, i didnt get on with them at all. Also used the husqvarna top handle and didnt rate that. Im afraid the 020 takes some beating.

I belive the issues with the carb have been sorted now, our 2008 020 at work has been running lovely ever since we bought it.

in my opinion you wont find a top handle saw like that unless you buy a 200t again, you only have to go 5-10miles somewhere and you will find a stihl dealer, you cant do that with any other saw really, even husky, so when you brake a part on a solo top handle saw and have to wait 48 hours for the part and put the job of for 2days, or you could always buy solo or husky or what ever and use your old 020 as a back up just incase you do have to wait 48 hours, just my opinion i only use stihl like you and though they have gone up in price AGAIN i will still buy them, i have also mulled over buying another cheaper saw but for the reasons above i bought a brand new top handle 200t the other week :thumbup:

not a criticism but why do you want to replace saw that still runs well? sorry cant offer much advice as ive only ever used stihl so cant offer comparison.

I would like to try and replace the saw before it dies on the job. Then you have a spare in the form of the older one for a good while.

Although she is on song still, I wont kid myself that a ten year old saw is gonna last that much longer.:001_smile:

I would like to try and replace the saw before it dies on the job. Then you have a spare in the form of the older one for a good while.

Although she is on song still, I wont kid myself that a ten year old saw is gonna last that much longer.:001_smile:

now thats what i call clever thinking, a little spend out now to avoid a possible bigger loss later:thumbup:and after all noone wants to have to break out the silky:sneaky2::biggrin:juries out, looks like it is to be the 020

As a dealer I can honestly say that we don't sell any other top handle saws other the the MS200T, and the AMA as a back up saw.

For the amount we sell we have hardly any come back, we have in the past sold them all and the only one worth buying IMO is the Stihl. It may be the most expensive out there and not much margin in it for the dealers, but you get a good saw and we get no after sale problems, everyone's a winner:thumbup:

By the calculations of you having one for 10 years at today prices that's 74p a week.