Chainsaw tachometers in 2022 and beyond

tenner

Hello!

Are there any decent options for 2-stroke tachs in the UK these days?

Historic wisdom seemed to suggest the sensible choices are between:

- TT-20K

- OPPAMA PET-1100

- Stihl EDT 5

None of these seem to be available in the UK for a sensible price though, if at all.

Fair enough the EDT 5 is discontinued, but the newer Stihl tachs have a much slower refresh rate while still costing a fortune. This seems mental, am I missing something?

I've already got a cheapo Chinese special, and my multi meter can tach as well, but they're both slow (1+ sec) and neither give accurate 2-stroke readings without multiplying the number manually.

I just want a tachometer that'll do 2-strokes natively, with fast refresh rate (0.5s at most), a replaceable battery, shipped from the UK, without costing an arm and a leg. Any tips? 

Cheers!

Got one on Amazon with replaceable battery, 0.5s refresh, for about £20. In amongst the cheap ones there is some variation , have to look carefully at specs.

You're supposed to wind the sense wire around the plug lead, I just have mine cable tied in a coil about 3 inch diameter and put that on top of the saw cover, it's enough signal to trigger the count.

I use a Trail Tech TTO tach. They aren't expensive, so not any customs costs bringing them in from the States. I got mine within a couple of weeks. It's lasted me nearly 8 years so far. I cut most of the tail off as I don't need to install it to a vehicle. So now can just hold it up against the top of the saw and it gives me a read.

ETA - I just realised I also haven't put a battery in it since I bought it.

WWW.TRAILTECH.NET

Shop TTO Hour Meter in TTO Mini Gauge at the TrailTech store.

Edited by wyk
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Crocky said:

This is the one I use. Reliable, 0.5 refresh rate and you don’t really need the wire. I picked one up on eBay a while back for £30. Worth a look. 

Same. There was a guy selling multiple. Happens regularly. They are used tachs from dealers workshops being swapped out for new as batteries are not replacable .... think that was the story.

Had mine for 5'ish years, still good.

Edited by bmp01
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, bmp01 said:

Same. There was a guy selling multiple. Happens regularly. They are used tachs from dealers workshops being swapped out for new as batteries are not replacable .... think that was the story.

Had mine for 5'ish years, still good.

I’ll maybe have a look for that then for a spare. It was a new one I’d managed to pick up. I don’t think the person knew the value of what they had.