HELP!!! Confused about resetting Stihl M tronic on my old Stihl MS362C?????

cessna

I am desperate to try and do a reset of the M tronic on my old Stihl  MS 362 C saw, as after it has been ticking over for a while  when warm and it stops, the only way I can start it is to   " put my foot in the  handle  grip to secure it to the ground, grasp the throttle  to full throttle, and then pull the pull start with my other hand, it then usually starts ",but a dangerous situation as it roars straight to full revs, bl..dy  DANGEROUS!!!   On "GOOGLE" there are so many Videos  that SUPPOSEDLY show how  carry out a reset  I am completely confused as to what is the correct way to do a reset. So I am in desperate need of help !!!!!!!!!!!!  

22 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

I shot this video a few years ago on a stihl visit. Should answer your questions hopefully.

This is carried out by stihls own tech guy, not just someone trying to clock up channel views 

Hi Steve ,thanks for posting .

I have tired the reset as mentioned in your video but engine  still defaults back to not starting  when hot, unless I squeeze throttle to full open as I pull start cord while my foot is securing chainsaw to the ground, Dangerous !!!!!!!!

I now see after Googling the problem , that the solenoids on the M tronic are prone to giving trouble. I am therefore going to order another solenoid /tank fuel filter (part no: 1140-007-1802) . Please can someone tell me of a good video that  shows one how to remove the carb from an MS362C saw , replace the solenoid,and then replace the carb.    

I dont think you need to fiddle with carb.I believe its just a matter of unclipping the solenoids wiring connection.Then loosen a screw holding the solenoid in place.Refit the solenoid,with I believe the tiniest bit of lube on the o ring and thats it.Better not to completely remove the screw in case it falls into the innards.Access to the screw isnt great,also change the fuel filter with the new orange model.But you will probably still need to reset the saw afterwards.I believe the calibration technique depends on the mtronic version of your saw.It may be on the r.hand side of the label on your chain brake gaurd in teeny letters.

• Like 1

Another thing to consider with mntronic saws and the husky equivalent, is that there seems to be a tendency as soon as you get performance issues to immediately to blame the newish tech.Its probably worth keeping at the back of your mind that they also are subject to the ailments/issues of convential saws that we've all at some point encountered (leading to banging heads against walls,/swearing to never buy this brand again)etc,etc!

Just to muddy the waters a bit,there is also a green solenoid available on several suppliers websites (l&s engineers),not sure what thats about?Considerably more expensive than the newest white solenoid+uprated fuel filter-no fuel filter supplied with the green one-possibly an interim fix issued by Stihl for earlier versions of the mntronic software??.Running a fair few high-priced stihl machines, I've decided to put the finer filter on my other saws/hdgetrimmers/pole trimmers etc.In the hope that a pristine carb is a happy carb.

There are several identical looking orange stihl filters available on fleabay,however the part no is NOT the same.For anyone that wants the upgraded fuel filter the part no is-0000 358 3401 C.