Trunks for beehives

steve gibson

That's why I was reading the keeping bees with a smile, it is about leaving them to do what they do and only taking a small amount of honey.

Quite a good read really, whilst they still want to harvest honey he advocates minimal checking and allowing the colony to pretty much self regulate.

Sugar was highlighted as a problem due to its refined nature devoid of minerals and such.

Thank you for all the interest. It's about helping increase the population of wild honey bees by offering them more places to live - rewilding?
They would prefer hollows in standing trees but this is getting near to that and still being practical. The hives can be strapped high in trees as well. For me it's an add on to my coppice business and I am taking guidance
from Matt Somerville who is one of the experts -

start 27 minutes in. I hollow out the middle using a chainsaw and a large gouge.

The species need to be durable but relatively easy to hollow out. They do look good as well.

• Like 4

Good luck with your search for suitable wood. It's something I might consider to act as a swarm lure for my hives. One thing that's interesting is the volume, 40 - 60 litres seems very small, my best hive this year filled 200 litres during summer and overwinters on just under 100 litres of space (this is a mongrel mix and isn't fed any sugar). 

On 10/11/2022 at 08:18, steve gibson said:

Hi. I'm looking for trunks to make into log beehives. They need to be a minimum diameter 18 inches all round and 33 inches long. Species need to be larch, douglas fir, scots pine or sweet chestnut ie something durable. I need up to 10. Preferably in the South Oxfordshire or Berkshire area. Is there anyone on here who could supply these or know of anyone who could? Any help or advice appreciated. I've attached a photo of an example. Thanks. Steve

1320370681_20221104_151128(Medium).thumb.jpg.757c86c1bcc45b9d52123116292b6353.jpg 

I got a load of cypress ,  and the bigger ones would be ideal. If you fancy a trip out west with a trailer...20221108_120209.thumb.jpg.07c88a7bf8a0a073b9cec763b7f2fc18.jpg

1 hour ago, slack ma girdle said:

I got a load of cypress ,  and the bigger ones would be ideal. If you fancy a trip out west with a trailer...20221108_120209.thumb.jpg.07c88a7bf8a0a073b9cec763b7f2fc18.jpg

I was trying to source a load of cypress about a year ago.  Drew a total blank.  I would have had that lot off you in a flash!

Edited by Squaredy