Ford transit custom cam belt or chain , clutch and dual mass ?

miker

I have not been involved for 6 years but we had transit trucks of 2002 to 2011 era, I cannot remember when they changed to common rail injection but they were all 2.4 durotorque engines and chain driven overhead cam.

I think most were dual mass clutches but when the clutch went they were changed to ordinary flywheels.

I cannot remember much trouble below 100k miles but the common rail pumps needed replacing on some soon after.

We had one timing chain snap, I think when someone slipped it into 3rd  instead of 5th on the motorway. We fitted a new chain kit but something else went wrong within 12k miles, probably because out workshop wasn't clean enough for engine work.

After that it became more economic to put a complete new engine in a newer vehicle as they were about £2000 but you had to fit £500 of new parts, belts, hoses etc.

Transit customs 2:2 litre is chain driven we have had these go back after 5 years  usually 120 thou + all OK.transit customs 2.0 litre are wet cam belt driven runs in oil worst idea ever on our vans they break between 80,000 and 100,000,my van went at 83,000 at 70 on motorway, new engine and turbo at main dealer £7k as out of warranty glad it was a fleet van

• Like 2