1998 stihl 044

Gareth 85

Wow....thats a nice find. To a collector thats worth at least £400 or £500- if its unused with all the bits. Soon as you use that you will devalue it. If you are not fussy, personally i would list it as new old stock on the bay and that will fly out...use your profit to buy a near new younger saw if you arent a collector and just need a bigish saw 

Edited by pleasant
spelling

1 hour ago, pleasant said:

Oh, yes your're right...just viewed the pic. Oh dear ☹️

Hardly “oh dear”. Try and buy a modern equivalent brand new and how much will that cost? £1000? Or get £500 for this and buy a hammered newer equivalent? What’s the point? He’ll get everything he needs from this brand new saw with no hassle and for £200. 

• Like 7

I can't disagree with that statement. From a financial perspective you are of course correct. All I was really stating, it was a pity to put to work an old machine like that, which in that condition is pretty rare and would interest collectors to have as a 'shelf queen'

Futhermore, issues can now arise during use from perished, hardened crank seals, carb diaphragms etc from long term storage of a near 25 year old saw. Worth bearing in mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pleasant said:

I can't disagree with that statement. From a financial perspective you are of course correct. All I was really stating, it was a pity to put to work an old machine like that, which in that condition is pretty rare and would interest collectors to have as a 'shelf queen'

Futhermore, issues can now arise during use from perished, hardened crank seals, carb diaphragms etc from long term storage of a near 25 year old saw. Worth bearing in mind.

Also good points. :) 

Worth a £200 gamble and even with a £200 service and service parts replacement he’s quids in on a saw that will most likely last another 20 years. 

If a collector offered £1000 I’d be tempted to sell, but at £500? Pointless.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pleasant said:
WWW.EBAY.COM

Stihl 044 OEM NEW OLD STOCK Vintage Chainsaw SUCH A RARE OPPORTUNITY AWAITS. DON'T SLEEP ON THIS...

Good money if he gets it!

That’s more like it! 

Now the op can really feel like he’s kicked himself in the balls. 🤣