Log boiler advice

Can anyone with a log boiler system offer any advice?

Moving to a property currently on oil but looking at systems to implement. Questions to ask,

Which system?

Cost of installation?

Can it run alongside / be incorporated into an existing oil system?

I'm aware any government help is now closed but as being a tree surgeon with a healthy supply of firewood would negate the loss of help from the gov.

1 hour ago, Dillinger86 said:

Can anyone with a log boiler system offer any advice?

Moving to a property currently on oil but looking at systems to implement. Questions to ask,

Which system?

Cost of installation?

Can it run alongside / be incorporated into an existing oil system?

I'm aware any government help is now closed but as being a tree surgeon with a healthy supply of firewood would negate the loss of help from the gov.

We have a Morso dove with a back boiler for rads.  We simply added a second system with separate radiators so they can work together, but we don’t do this.  We use the gas combo boiler for an hour in the morning (we used to anyway) and then the log boiler for the evenings and any other time we want warmth.

It does work well but it has to be carefully managed to get the rads hot but not boiling.  It is much easier to just have a burner chucking out heat, but how well this will work depends on how open plan the house is.

• Thanks 1

I've a 25kw eco Angus, but space is something you will definitely need.

Probably looking around 15k installed, if you can connect it to your existing system. Is it a combo oil boiler or do you have a hot water tank ?

Edited by GarethM

3 hours ago, Peasgood said:

What do you want it to do?

Central heating?

Domestic hot water?

Cooking?

Just look pretty?

Do you want it outside or inside?

Yes they can be combined with an oil system, either using a Dunsley Neutraliser or a heat store.

heating and water ideally, the eco Angus looks

good.

2 hours ago, GarethM said:

I've a 25kw eco Angus, but space is something you will definitely need.

Probably looking around 15k installed, if you can connect it to your existing system. Is it a combo oil boiler or do you have a hot water tank ?

Combo boiler I believe, space not an issue

That's not me trying to dissuade you, just the reality of big stand alone boilers and the necessary pipework and tanks required to take advantage of that heat as whilst they can throttle up and down you want to store everything and drip feed it out as required.

They do have the benefit of being able to heat a house, as a back boiler setup is obviously limited in heat output to a few kw.  

Edited by GarethM

I have a large eco angus boiler and heat store tank and would recommend it to anyone who recognises the work involved.

it burns a lot of logs, naturally dry and well seasoned. Its best to have a system for seasoning and moving them close to the boiler. Loader and IBC cages or bags. I load ours twice a day in the winter. Its quite flexible regarding when you load it (because of the buffer tank) but its best to let it burn right down before reloading.