Shrinkable soil map

Ledburyjosh

Good question to ask; not so easy to answer in full. Depends to some degree on what certainty you are seeking, how much risk you are willing to take & how much you are willing to pay. Furthermore, are you really interested in "soil" or what might be under the foundations of a building (i.e. possibly 50 cm, 1 metre or more under the surface i.e. geology)?

As Julian has pointed out BGS is going through a bit of a change both with online and app based information; whatever they provide is a crude assessment of mostly parent material. They also provide a site- based risk assessment report for which you need to pay - see below.

The soil database/mapping referred to is not designed to assess the presence of "shrinkable" soils. And its scale (as with BGS) will only give you the crudest means of assessing any particular site. 

If you have money I would simply ask BGS to provide you with a site based report on which you depend. It's not perfect but with suitable caveats it is what it is. Short of sampling the soils on site, probably not to an adequate depth, you won't do much better.

£56.40 includes VAT

OK, thanks for the replies on this.

I know the site to be on free draining sandstone coupled with the trees being large mature trees at the time of building, tree-related subsidence is highly unlikely. For the purposes of what I have been asked a description of the soil type and any other observations will suffice.