Quick and easy chip box

Steve Bullman

I agree stick with the 300tdi. I really wish my 200Tdi wasn't written off I prefer'd that to the 300. Interested to see how you get on with the pump.

Got the pump back and fitted it today.

Before the calibration:

Loads of power thru the range, but smoked like a pillark and used loads of fuel. Pulled no problems.

The pump was way out, it turns out it is a 200tdi pump, so he has calibrated it to a 300tdi spec. Factory settings:

Started up with no puff of smoke that 300tdis are so well known for.

Feels like it is lacking in power but thats because I have been driving it round overfuelling and using twice as much diesel.

Absolutely clean as a whistle smoke wise, I'm chuffed to bits that way, but I'm going to have to do some upgrades to get the power up a little.

Maybe bigger intercooler.

Am going to check injection pump timing with dial guage when I get the chance, could be a tad out.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the pump back and fitted it today.

Before the calibration:

Loads of power thru the range, but smoked like a pillark and used loads of fuel. Pulled no problems.

The pump was way out, it turns out it is a 200tdi pump, so he has calibrated it to a 300tdi spec. Factory settings:

Started up with no puff of smoke that 300tdis are so well known for.

Feels like it is lacking in power but thats because I have been driving it round overfuelling and using twice as much diesel.

Absolutely clean as a whistle smoke wise, I'm chuffed to bits that way, but I'm going to have to do some upgrades to get the power up a little.

Maybe bigger intercooler.

Am going to check injection pump timing with dial guage when I get the chance, could be a tad out.

You got a pm on the subject!

I agree stick with the 300tdi. I really wish my 200Tdi wasn't written off I prefer'd that to the 300. Interested to see how you get on with the pump.

Update on Pump.

As you know I fitted the recalibrated pump back on and it was terrible, up hills in first gear when I normally come up in third.

I advanced the timing, no different.

I retarded the timing, smoked plumes of white smoke and ran like a bag of sh1t.

Once I knew all the setting were right I adjusted the maximum fuel screw and turned it in 3/4 of a turn.

Bingo, goes like shite off a shovel and no smoke. excellent!

The maximum fuel screw is at the back of the pump, just above the four pipes coming out of the back of the pump and just above the stop solonoid.

It has a locking nut and an anti tamper coller, you should be able to turn it in 3/4 of a turn before the collar locks.

If you try it be sure to mark and count how much you turn it so if it doesn't work or smokes too much you can return it to normal setting.

It's like someones put two engines under the bonnet.