Zombosis

Chain Sharpening Service  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay someone else to sharpen your chains?

• Yes, if the price was right I'd love someone else to do it
    • Once in a blue moon maybe but I tend to look after my own as needed
    • NO chance! I don't trust anyone to do it properly

I imagine another slight problem esp if u cater more for the home owner/hobby/farmer type chains.

I may be wrong but the amount of times i've seen a farmers saw with the chain hanging loose on the bar and completely mullered and still be trying to cut with it.so cutters will be well heat up too.

Never different to getting arb/forestry chains in that are just a touch dull.

They could be an absolute nightmare to even attempt to sharpen and  u will be taking so much off the cutters the rakers will need a good going over too

I must admit i've never looked into these fancy auto sharpeners but with harvester chains u have no rakers to worry about so machine is doing the lot.

9 hours ago, Pete Mctree said:

If someone could do a decent square ground chain, I’d be a regular customer 

Yep that could be another big selling point if you could do square ground chain - you'd be the the one in the UK to offer it [to my knowledge].

1 hour ago, drinksloe said:

I imagine another slight problem esp if u cater more for the home owner/hobby/farmer type chains.

I may be wrong but the amount of times i've seen a farmers saw with the chain hanging loose on the bar and completely mullered and still be trying to cut with it.so cutters will be well heat up too.

Never different to getting arb/forestry chains in that are just a touch dull.

They could be an absolute nightmare to even attempt to sharpen and  u will be taking so much off the cutters the rakers will need a good going over too

I must admit i've never looked into these fancy auto sharpeners but with harvester chains u have no rakers to worry about so machine is doing the lot.

Yep but then it's a good opportunity to sell new chains with something like - buy 3 get 1 free type deal. A few home owners I know would have x6 chains - rotate them as they dulled - and then send x4 to get sharpened. So they may be open to buying multiple chains.

4 hours ago, Rob D said:

Yep but then it's a good opportunity to sell new chains with something like - buy 3 get 1 free type deal. A few home owners I know would have x6 chains - rotate them as they dulled - and then send x4 to get sharpened. So they may be open to buying multiple chains.

Do you get asked about sharpening Rob? Having someone allied but not directly competing can be a way to pass business across both ways....

20 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Do you get asked about sharpening Rob? Having someone allied but not directly competing can be a way to pass business across both ways....

We do now and again. But with no disrespect to the OP I'd be hesitant to put business someone's way until there was strong evidence that they were providing a good consistent service. It's more involved to do as people will ask 'oh you recommend this business to sharpen chains - are they good then?' and if you say 'yep should be fine' and it isn't - those people will come back to you with the complaint 😏

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rob D said:

We do now and again. But with no disrespect to the OP I'd be hesitant to put business someone's way until there was strong evidence that they were providing a good consistent service. It's more involved to do as people will ask 'oh you recommend this business to sharpen chains - are they good then?' and if you say 'yep should be fine' and it isn't - those people will come back to you with the complaint 😏

Fair point, I see that.